Fran11

SD Stage VS Ego Developement Stage

6 posts in this topic

By contemplating, my conclusion is that although they overlap, are not the same. And by highlighting the distinctions (the similarities are quite obvious) we can achieve a more nuanced understanding.

SD is society oriented, and ED is individual oriented.

So, a particular individual can have Orange values but he/she may just have absorbed them from culture, so this doesn't necessarily mean he/she is an Expert / Achiever, could well be at the Conformist Stage.

The same with Green values. They don't necessarily make you a Pluralist. You can also be a young Conformist and take modern Green ideas from your culture.

This is all about the "Content VS Structure" distinction.

Let me know what you think. 

P.S.: Another important point is that Ego generally develops without skipping Stages, while SD values can be taken directly from culture. If you live in an advanced society, you are not going to be very exposed to Red values, but you'll certainly go through the Impuslive Ego Stage. 

Edited by Fran11

I think SD implies that if your center of gravity is at a certain stage your ego development should be fairly equivalent.

Maybe the distinction lies on bad characterization of certain values/content from SD and interpreting it wrong. ED certainly helps make more accurate assessments of SD.

33 minutes ago, Marxwa Sright said:

I think SD implies that if your center of gravity is at a certain stage your ego development should be fairly equivalent.

Yes of course, they greatly overlap and that is quite easy to see.

My objective here was to highlight that they are not always the same. I find it more useful than simplistically matching the Stages.

A highl-scool kid who happens to live in an advanced sociey and absorbs Green values is not always really a Pluralist. He may be, I'm not saying he can't, but not necessarily.

Edited by Fran11

I've been thinking about this a lot but have concluded that it's fairly easy to see through an Expert/Achiever who has Green values but is still at SD Orange. For example, a lot of college kids are pro environment but eat factory farmed food and shop at Walmart and don't really give a fuck beyond their Bernie Sanders bumper sticker. You could say they have "Green" values, but I think this often is a surface level political analysis not a true investigation of their personal values, like actually putting their money where their mouth is and buying local, organic, vegan, etc. Also, despite the rhetoric, their thinking and priorities likely don't fully align with Green like consensus decision making, community-centric, truly having empathy for all living beings, etc. 

@tuckerwphotography Yup, that's basically my point.

49 minutes ago, tuckerwphotography said:

Also, despite the rhetoric, their thinking and priorities likely don't fully align with Green like consensus decision making, community-centric, truly having empathy for all living beings, etc. 

Yup, that's basically my point.

There's big difference beetween having really developed yourself to the level of those high ideals, and just having unthoughtfully absorbed them from culture and wanting to be politically correct/socially accepted.

Edited by Fran11

If SD maps values what would ED map?

Edited by integral

How is this post just me acting out my ego in the usual ways? Is this post just me venting and justifying my selfishness? Are the things you are posting in alignment with principles of higher consciousness and higher stages of ego development? Are you acting in a mature or immature way? Are you being selfish or selfless in your communication? Are you acting like a monkey or like a God-like being?