Sounds of a Sphere

Making music for float tanks (+ anxiety relief) - hunting for constructive criticism

8 posts in this topic

Greetings,

I recently tried my hand at making music for floatation tanks (sensory deprivation tanks).
It was an extremely interesting challenge, as listeners ears are under water ! I never enjoyed making music more, and so I want to broaden the scope to meditation, relaxation, sleep.

I was hoping to find some feedback, here on actualized, on where these songs may fall a bit short, and whether they are useful for meditation or not?
Listen here: https://soundsofasphere.bandcamp.com/album/music-to-float-to

Im very conscious of being marked as advertising, being it is my first post, but I can't say many of my friends share my love for chill-out music. I really do want to hear some critique. I'd also like to know where you all might think theres something repetitive, or missing, in the scene of relaxation music. Any cliches you might be tired of? I'd like to bare these in mind for future creations.

PS: anyone is interested, you can have the artwork as a desktop wallpaper in 4K, which ive added as an attachment :)

Thanks, and hello from New Zealand !

4K-Wallpaper_Music-For-Floating.jpg

Edited by Sounds of a Sphere
added desktop wallpaper

Always a pleasure to see an artist working on a similarly unique project. Art moves mountains. The track is lovely. I would love to test it underwater. Here's a theme I would absolutely adore: Combine deep underwater whale sounds with music to create a cohesive track that takes one's imagination to the Arctic Ocean. I trust we artists know, even "feel" whatever that statement means. Just envisioning the arctic blue color, the mystical cetaceans, the freezing waters makes my heart sing.

I also love the sound of hydroacoustic search. What? I do not know. Especially if I were to hear it underwater. 

What a project. 

Number one: Great Idea!! There's a float tank about 30ish minutes away but I still have not tried this. 

OK, I like the ocean theme the best... the forest theme is nice but I wonder if its a bit too stimulating? Or perhaps that's something desirable to keep from passing out? Edit: ok i listened to more of the forest theme. when the smoother music kicks in it was really nice... It was just the very beginning, that first note made me jump so I immediately took the whole track as less relaxing.  

Edit: oh the listener's ears are underwater? wow I didn't even consider that. That makes this even neater. Did you experiment to see how much of the tone of your music is still hearable? 

Edited by seeking_brilliance

Check out my lucid dreaming anthology series, Stars of Clay  

@SirVladimir Wonderful! I will do just that, in homage of such a detailed description being given. It also reminds me of a personal favourite...
Thus I have a recommendation for you that comes close to your description. Nosaj thing - nightcrawler. Easily found on youtube.

Its one of the most inspirational songs Ive ever had the pleasure of listening to. It instantly evokes the deep ocean - arctic, silent. The synths evoke the lumiescent creatures of the deep.
For me, gave birth to a whole new genre (at least for me haha) that I think of as journey music. Music that really takes you somewhere when you close your eyes.
Though it is not as ambient, I made music in this direction for another project, inspired by the idea such visual music. The EP idea was that someone is out at sea on perfectly still waters, then arrives on an island to enter a forest, and finds a cave. Very simple, but enough to detail each track with their appropriate sounds. 
Here is the link. You can download the songs in WAV or mp3 for free: http://kahika.stream/release/avalokita

PS: When you say hydroacoustic search, google shows me the same war-game in its results. Are you referring to including sonar sounds?

Thank you for the kind words :)

Edited by Sounds of a Sphere

@seeking_brilliance Yes I did experiment, though admittedly you could call it a failed experiment! All the highs disappear, so all the detailing is lost. What you get is a sense of melody and sub-bass. I tried to tailor the songs to have melodies in lower octaves, and it did work well. Was just a pain to mix so many low sounds together.. a very interesting little ep to write, thats for sure.

I agree with you on the forest. Though the forest is my favourite for every day listening, I think the ocean theme far exceeds it in the tank.. the way it fades out - it helps people to forget about the music and immerse into the tank.

I highly recommend you check out the tank 30 minutes near you!
To give you some pointers for first timers...

Relax your neck - your head will float.
Use only the most gentle finger-pushes, should you bump into the wall when floating. A slight push, so delicate you barely did anything, is the best way to find your way into the center and to stop moving. Nothing breaks the flow more than occassionally bumping off a wall!
After one or two sessions youll be a natural, but I like to think with that advice youll have it figured out 1/4 way through one session !

@Sounds of a Sphere thanks for the tips:) one day I'll climb out of my hobbit hole and try it out.  Keep experimenting! 

Are there typically underwater speakers in the tanks? 

Edited by seeking_brilliance

Check out my lucid dreaming anthology series, Stars of Clay  

Well done! This is very nicely balanced, it stays very much on the side of harmony and peacefulness without becoming sickly sweet.

How to get to infinity? Divide by zero.

@Sounds of a Sphere Yup. Sonar sounds.

Whales are a whole new level, however. I melt in joy. Freaking whales. How lovely.