Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Adodd

DIY solo retreat?

4 posts in this topic

My fiance and I have a total of 5 children and we both VERY rarely get more than a couple hours alone. Like MAYBE twice a year will we get more than that. We have planned for us both to take a separate 1 week vacation alone in a tent in a forest. We will be bringing 1 weeks worth of food/water/etc. so we will not have to buy anything during the week. Any ideas for making this 1 week solo trip as constructive as possible? And has anyone done anything similar? I will be meditating, sight seeing, and probably some psychedelics(safely) but I just cant see how i will fill an entire week! My life is so crazy and always moving and planing while in the middle of other plans and whatever else. I dont remember what its even like to be able to have a day to myself. This will be an interesting experience and im looking forward to it.

Your system might take 2-3 days to really slow down. You might feel madness during that time. By the end of the week, you will certainly be in a different state of being, but after returning home it will return to normal after a few days. 

It's long enough to experience deeper awareness but not long enough to have any major effect. So I suggest not trying to make it as constructive as possible but allowing yourself to deeply relax and enjoy it. (like in your profile picture) 

Having a big family isn't a problem, the purpose of the retreat is to expand your perspective so when you come back to your life, how you see and relate changes. It's hard to do that when you're in the heat of it. At the end, reflect on what long-term changes you can bring back to your life to live more consciously. This usually involves removing things that aren't important/healthy and putting more energy into things that are. 

The distance, stillness and silence will tell you what to do

that’s a beautiful idea bro and I commend you for finding the time with such a busy life. I think you will benefit along with your friends and family from whatever insights gained. 

Whatever you gain you’ll take with you. For me personally I have noticed my mind loosening up with each meditation/ each dream/ each psychedelic session/ each self inquiry. So don’t worry if you don’t accomplish it all. In fact you’ll probably accomplish more if you let go of the idea of results.  Don’t go in with any expectations. Just come in with loose plan. Set aside things like your phone, and other distractions, and be open to some deviation while also remaining mindful of what your mind is doing. While watching your mind in its natural state you can learn a lot simply from watching how you are unfiltered, and without being too rigid. 

There’s this tendency to take a rigid approach to spiritual work which can be valuable for some lessons. However is actually counter intuitive to learning some of the deeper lessons as it relates to your ordinary life. As if you remain 100 percent rigid on how to do things you won’t know how you are naturally. 

@willl Thank you. And yeah I plan to not be on my phone at all.