Waves

How to Create More Space for Introspection

4 posts in this topic

I was wondering how introspection looks like in practice, and how I could make a habit of it, or how I could remind myself to turn inwards and feel during the day. Now it’s “easy” to remember, since it’s fresh content, but I’ll forget for sure about the commitment.

Mindfulness and some forms of mediation are basically observation of our internal state, thoughts, feelings, emotions without reacting to them. How are they different from introspection? Is it that when you do these practices, you deliberately allocate some time and observe what comes up, whereas with introspection you assume a general attitude towards life of turning inwards in particular occasions (what Leo listed in the first 90 minutes)?

One basic thing that we could do to create more space for introspection is going for walks, reducing distractions, like avoid looking at our phone in idle time or while commuting, and so on, which are all good steps to take, but isn’t it ultimately through meditation that we are trained to get grounded in the present moment and just feel?

And since there needs to be a genuine desire to turn inwards, does it mean we can’t force introspection? Should it be allowed to come up organically and naturally from our authentic desire to get in touch with what’s true?

I’m curious to hear your experiences.

Buy a 'introspection' or 'mindfulness' ring or bracelet, and then every time you see it, it reminds you to do one (or maybe both) of those things. 

This also bypasses the egos dragging feet on commitment, since its a much smaller commitment to remember what the worn accessory represents. 

Edited by seeking_brilliance

Check out my lucid dreaming anthology series, Stars of Clay  

Oh that's a great idea, thank you, I'll look for one that has introspection vibes :P

Here a few practices from Eckhart Tolle that I've found helpful:

• Be aware of the space between objects. For example, when walking from one tree to the next, or when speaking, observe the spaciousness between objects and words without thinking.
  • Practice "Being while Doing". We can perform simple tasks like packing a suitcase, grocery shopping, and doing the laundry without invoking the conceptual mind. We can know and do many things without conceptualization, and we know and do them better.
  • Listen alertly, both to the speaker’s words and to the space between words. Do not plan how you will respond. When you do respond, only say what you need to say and stop.
  • When solving a problem, apply your mind then stop thinking. Simply be Present. After a few minutes, apply thought again. Often it will be creative thought that wouldn’t have happened otherwise. After a while it will become second nature, and this practice won’t be necessary anymore. You will keep a connection to Presence even while your mind is engaged.
  • When you get into your car, break the stream of unconscious compulsive thinking, take 30 seconds after you shut the door, and just sit there and look around. You have broken the momentum of the mind; you have created a space.
  • Every time you use a staircase, be Present with every step. You can do this with any activity that you do habitually during the day.
  •  “In England, in my Russian Lada, I would often sit there in the countryside. I could hear the rain on the roof of the car coming down. There’s a meadow there, and there’s a hedge there. Blissful, just listening to the sound of the rain and thunder in this little protected space. What could be better than that? What else could you ask for?”

Just because God loves you doesn't mean it is going to shape the cosmos to suit you. God loves you so much that it will shape you to suit the cosmos.