Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Lyubov

Best tests/bloodwork to get when going for a checkup? 

5 posts in this topic

I am going to schedule a doctor's check up to make sure everything is in order. I'm looking to improve my sleep. I currently am on a crazy sleep schedule but I think if I get this in order I will be feeling more rested. When I go to the doctor I'm going to ask for them to test for these things.

- cholesterol levels

- testosterone levels

- heavy metals (not sure if I should ask for this as provoked urine or blood? how can I have them check if there is any in my brain?)

- liver / kidney tests

What other blood/urine tests should I ask for to see if I'm missing anything?

If you are mostly symptom free you are unlikely to get more than basic blood work (red, white blood cells,iron, platelets,b12) maybe thyroid. Most doctors don't test for heavy metals or testosterone unless they suspect hypogonadism or something like that. You may need to look into private testing for those. 

Vitamin D is useful to know and so is homocysteine imo

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

7 minutes ago, Michael569 said:

If you are mostly symptom free you are unlikely to get more than basic blood work (red, white blood cells,iron, platelets,b12) maybe thyroid. Most doctors don't test for heavy metals or testosterone unless they suspect hypogonadism or something like that. You may need to look into private testing for those. 

Vitamin D is useful to know and so is homocysteine imo

No symptoms except my messed up sleep schedule. I'd like to at least get tested for the other two just to make sure they are normal. If I request it from the doctor will they usually do it? By private testing do you mean one of those testing clinics? 

Edited by Lyubov

@Lyubov You may need to exaggerate your symptoms a little bit more to get your way. This is because medical tests are paid through insurance company (unless you live in country where you pay them) so doctors have to make decision who gets them and who doesn't. At least this is how it works in UK. 

See what they can do and then take it from there :)

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

Iron (via ferfatin) levels are a good idea to check on, especially if you are female, vegetarian/vegan, or an athlete. B12 can be a good one to check on too for vegs and/or athletes.

If your doc is any good, they should know better than anyone on here as to what should be investigated.

How to get to infinity? Divide by zero.