Farnaby

How to know what truth is?

22 posts in this topic

On 9/11/2020 at 1:45 PM, Farnaby said:

But now I'm asking myself if this direct experience isn't just something I've tricked myself into. 

How can what is happening Here and Now be a trick? 

How can you trust your direct experience? When I'm identified with my worries, my direct experience can be a feeling of anxiety. When I detach from those thoughts, my direct experience is calmness. Why is it generally accepted that the second state is the true one if both can be directly experienced?

A worrisome thought is a worrisome thought. A feeling of anxiety is a felling of anxiety. A feeling of calmness is a feeling of calmness.  They are all true as the ISness they are.

However what is appearing now is not always practical and healthy to the person. 

It seems like giving up this skepticism would make me an easy target to believe something without seeing if it's really true. For instance, people like Mooji teach you to put aside all doubts so you can discover truth. Isn't that similar to what religions do: "there's a God in heaven, just believe me and put aside every doubt".

It depends on the context of truth. Someone saying “There is a God in heaven” is someone saying “There is a god in heaven”. That is truth. You seem to be asking if there is an external, objective universal reality that is true. 

Leo discussed openness, skepticism, falling victim to conspiracy theories etc, in his open mindedness video. In a nutshell, a mind that is open will be able to work it out because it is open to relative truths. People that are in fundamental religions, cults, conspiracy theories etc are closed minded. If they were open minded they would not have stayed within groups that are dogmatic, closed minded and prevent relative truths from entering.