Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Explore

Life Purpose question regarding specialization in university

3 posts in this topic

Hi all and @Leo Gura

I have some questions while I am going through the Life Purpose Course and I am midway in it and discovered my passion. Through my studies as BEng in Mechanical Engineering I have found an area I want to specialize myself in on my MSc Eng in Mechanical Engineering degree. I have found out I want to go through a mastery process within the domain of:  "Product development".

I could see myself master every aspect there is to Product Development and Design Engineering and joyfully spend 10,000 Hours within that area to ultimately expand my creativity. The specialization of product development will include: 

• Designing great products in CAD 
  • Develop ideas through brainstorming / idea generation
  • Develop hands-on workshop skills, CNC-machining, injection molding, create stuff in 3D printer, prototyping
  • Implement sustainability (Life Cycle Assesment, Responsible Production, designing and producing products which improves human-kind)

Moreover, I am also very much into Spiral Dynamics, and I can see myself lie in solid green with hint of orange, and I want to dive deeper and move up to stage yellow. I see that "R&D" is mentioned in Spiral Dynamics Stage Orange Mega-thread- and you could classify which I just mentioned as in the domain of "R&D". Do you think it would be an obstacle to specialize myself in that domain in my career if I want to move myself to a higher stage?

I am midway in it and discovered my passion. 

I think this may already be a mistake. If you're halfway through the course, you haven't done most of the values passes or life purpose exercises yet. Don't jump to conclusions and think you've figured it out before you go through all of the material. You might have suspicions, but let it fully play out first.

That's a good point @Yarco. I will go through it before jumping to conclusion.