Red-White-Light

Life Narrative and Narrative Lock

3 posts in this topic

I have been contemplating the idea of life narrative and how we all have an egoic based narrative set for our lives. I will begin to explain how deep this goes, exploring the concept of narrative lock.

Firstly, to understand this, we need to look at what a narrative is. Our entire life narrative begins with a consistent first person narrative. We are living a life where things are happening to us, whether they are good or bad. Because of this limited perspective, we have blind spots. Imagine the difference between watching a movie in first person vs third person. In third person narratives it’s easier to see the bigger picture and the storyline isn’t diluted by subjective opinion, as the perspective is more factual and omniscient. Your egoic first person perspective has thoughts and emotions which warp your life narrative. For example just by having a specific belief system, you may think the government is out to kill BAME communities with Covid vaccine trials. This is is total nonsense, formed out of irrational fear. The fear creates governmental distrust and commonly it forms rebellion. Now you’re on a rebellion against the government. This rebellion neglects the amazing advances in science and to your quality of life. I have seen this too many times, people end up working minimum wage jobs as they feel victimised by the world and feel they are controlled by the “elites” and it all started with these irrational beliefs. That would be a narrative lock. Your narrative in your head has materialised in the real world as an actual story and now your ego is stuck in it. To escape a narrative lock requires awareness of the narrative you’re in. For example, the person who went against the government, in this example, could realise they have interest in a specific science e.g. health (hence why they were so concerned about the vaccines) and they could actually go and explore the field of health themselves, developing key skills and opportunities and entering into a career they’re passionate about. Also be aware that narrative locks work by routine and sleep/wake cycles. You’re only awake so long, and then you’re asleep again, and sometimes you’re not even aware of how your narrative is being locked by your specific routine. An example of this is getting a part time job. Some people get narrative locked in the part time job and they can’t escape it. They think that job role is their life. The way to escape that narrative lock is to have your long term vision written down, so you can refer to it when you feel lost. Sometimes people take psychedelics and that gives them a different perspective and that awareness of their life narrative can be the cause to change it.

I hope you kinda get an understanding of what I’m explaining. I don’t want to make this post too long. 

Edited by Red-White-Light

solid post, thank you

check out enneagram

Edited by WaveInTheOcean

Can you bite your own teeth?  --  “What a caterpillar calls the end of the world we call a butterfly.