Kyle

I Love Learning, But I Hate Class

11 posts in this topic

I'm currently a junior in college studying computer science. I'm fully aware that learning this material will greatly help me out down the road. If I don't become a programmer, I'll have at least learned how to solve very advanced problems. However, for some reason, I can't get motivated in any of my classes. I have been successful in life at setting my own goals by myself, but I have a really tough time doing things because other people tell me to do (such as homework). I always find myself slacking on assignments and zoning out in class. I'm getting by with Bs, but I know I could be doing better and I feel as though I'm squandering this opportunity to really get the most out of my education. Does anybody have any suggestions for what I should do to overcome this? Any input be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

The most you can get out of an education comes from finding out how to use it towards the success you want. Also, It really comes down to how you interpret your path. A lot of people will ask you, "Where do you see yourself in 5 years." and well to be honest, you should have no idea at this point, you would only have somewhat of an idea if you didn't do anything about it. I'm also a CS major as well wanting to do IT work but at the same time I'm finding projects to do on the side to keep me sharp and entertained.  And even though going through the languages, labs, classes, and people may seem exhausting and stale after a while, it's up to you to find what keeps you typing. I recently picked up making video games in my spare time, and it's fun! But it's not in a classroom and I won't get a degree from it. So focus on the goal here. Are the classes so boring because they're easy and low speed? Or are you seeing yourself going more down another path. My advice is to decide where you like experimenting with different languages and see how you can apply yourself. You will get over it though, talent is one thing, passion is another, both mix to make amazing things!

I can sympathise rather hardcore with this. 

One piece that comes to mind is a tip leo suggested: Don't study for grades. Study for knowledge.  

This may be easier said then done, because sometimes it just feels so utterly irrelevant. 

But if you can work on the ability to not think so much that you're in a class, and learn because you find the parts of how life works fascinating, then it might take away the dreaded feeling of forced information processing.

Edited by Simon Zackrisson

Endless nuance

I'm 20 years old. I live in Sydney, Australia. I am about to commence my third year (out of four) in a Chemistry degree.

I have always been passionate and enthusiastic about science, but over my two years at University my heartfelt interest and deep curiosity for it has been sapped.

I still love science, but my eyes no longer light up when somebody asks me about what I do.

I don't have the freedom to follow my natural inclinations nor get deeply involved and invested into something that I find meaningful and exciting. I am being pushed along a conveyor belt to get a degree and I am growing more restless by the minute.

There is nothing I love in this world more than learning, and I am grateful for the opportunity to get a tertiary education - but I know that it is holding me back.

I want to learn, but in a different way. I want to learn about the world and science in my own way - unchained and free to pursue the things that really make me come alive.

I've launched a website on my summer break where I have started to write about life changing books I have read along with other stuff that I genuinely find meaningful and important.

This is the work I want to be spending my time doing. I want to be learning my own way and genuinely helping people - not memorising organic chemistry reactions for the sake of passing a test.

I have big plans for this page, and I know that I will get it to the point where it can sustain me financially and I will be free to invest my life into it. The problem is the time factor.

The semester starts in approximately a months time, and once it does I will be back in the grind spending majority of my time trying to survive the endless juggernaut of assessments and bullshit.

I want to leave, but I don't think the page will make me enough money to support me by the time I am required to resume studying (I get student support bonuses while studying which is the only reason I can afford to live in Sydney).

What I am looking for is practical suggestions and wisdom regarding how to approach this situation and how I could lever myself into the life I want to life. I know this is the work I want to be doing, I am just struggling to find a way to position myself in order to do it.

I have no intention of pursuing a career in science at this point, but I may need to play the game for a bit longer to ultimately get to where I want to go. I know that I will find my way there eventually, I am just done with delaying it.

Apologies for the essay - I truly appreciate your curiosity and I am sincerely grateful for your thoughts and wisdom. You guys are awesome.

It's my third year in University too and I study English Language and Literature. I don't feel like this is what I want to do. But in my country, you can't find any job if you're not graduated from University. So I have to finish the school and it will take 2 more years. Considering that I have come to this point through all the difficulties and stress. I am not going to end my school life this way. However, I will study another subject or will start to work, who knows, when I finish this school. Not because of the future and job opportunities but because the things I've done to come to this point.

@Kyle Sounds like you might be a great candidate for going off and doing your own thing. If you're highly independent, creative, ambitious, and self-driven, then don't let mainstream society hold you back.

Watch this video, it was shot for people like you:

http://www.actualized.org/articles/how-to-unleash-your-ambition

Do be careful though, because going off on your own takes a lot of maturity and responsibility. It becomes all on you. Personally I LOVE going it rouge.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

@Leo Gura Thanks for the feedback. Just watched the video. It gave me some clarity and insight into this problem. 

For now, I definitely see my greatest gift as producing music. As far as class goes, I figure I should try to see the assignments more from a music producer's perspective and pay attention to how they would help me outside of programming.

Luckily I currently have a good amount of time to do some deep thinking about how I can eventually get to do what I love as my career. I'll also need to sharpen my music production skills and gain more knowledge and wisdom. I know I'd hate myself if I ever let the safety and comfort of a programming job take me off my purpose. That's why it's more important than ever to stay focused. 

@Kyle well Leo advice as he said "Personally" and to be honest his personality type (according to his) is INTP, yes i know, this personality type is not a bible or proven, but has its uses, it is like ego-id-super ego thing ... but might be as accurate.

anyhow, what i am saying INTP i believe can go rouge and survive, but if you are a ---J lets say like INJ, then you might not be that type, but again, if it is about success then it is about you as a person and about the situation as a whole, don't follow those stories blindly: Bill Gates didn't finish collage, neither Steve Jobs, because there is only ONE Bill Gates, one Steve Jobs and only one you.

..... ohh yes, and only one Leo Gura too!

Edited by Cookiesliyr

On 2/10/2016 at 8:27 AM, Kyle said:

@Leo Gura Thanks for the feedback. Just watched the video. It gave me some clarity and insight into this problem. 

For now, I definitely see my greatest gift as producing music. As far as class goes, I figure I should try to see the assignments more from a music producer's perspective and pay attention to how they would help me outside of programming.

Luckily I currently have a good amount of time to do some deep thinking about how I can eventually get to do what I love as my career. I'll also need to sharpen my music production skills and gain more knowledge and wisdom. I know I'd hate myself if I ever let the safety and comfort of a programming job take me off my purpose. That's why it's more important than ever to stay focused. 

@Kyle Perhaps you can make a music-making robot and incorporate the tools you learn in each of your classes to build/improve it.

Edited by Clay Curl

@Cookiesliyr Interesting. Never really thought of this perspective. I'm an ENTP/INTP depending on the day. I test pretty heavily as a P, which kind of supports the idea of going off on my own. 

@Kyle Establishing a goal is important, then zoom out of future thinking. You’re choosing the primary point all else is relative to, but are you choosing a future moment and experiencing now as only relative to the future, which is a thought and holds no power, or are you making everything relative to your enjoyment of now, where all of your power is? You are pure potentiality, in a miracle. Over-thinking has a tendency to whittle a miracle down to a means to an egoic end. 

MEDITATIONS TOOLS  ActualityOfBeing.com  GUIDANCE SESSIONS

NONDUALITY LOA  My Youtube Channel  THE TRUE NATURE