Eren Eeager

The EU keeps giving money to my country,why?

2 posts in this topic

I live in Jordan, . It is a blue/orange country in middle east. 

every now and then some foreign country give us hundreds of millions to support us, for example The EU just gave us 700 million euros to face corona virus.

Is it because they are green countries or because Jordan plays a political role in the middle east region.

Edited by Eren Eeager

I am the only thing stopping myself from receiving infinite Love form Myself. I am Infinite Love for god sake.

Foreign funding can happen for a number of reasons.

One can be to invest in the security of a country where the donor country has regional interests. I don’t know much about Jordan but I know it’s generally friendly to the West and downplays extremism, so the EU is probably happy to support it so that it has a friendly nation in the region.

Another is to shore up diplomatic support. Unlike what many isolationists, autarkists and militarists think, it’s important to maintain healthy global relations and displays of good-faith like this can improve a nation’s  or an alliances’ international standing. Say the EU wants a resolution passed at the UN, this donation might mean your country is now more likely to support the EU in that resolution.

And another reasons which shouldn’t be understated is there might just be genuine goodwill from the EU to help out a county in need. Despite how easy it is to be cynical these days, a lot of political efforts are still motivated by values and ideals. I imagine there’s enough people in the EU bureaucracy who genuinely believe in international solidarity enough that something like this is seen as a beneficial course of action.

“All you need is Love” - John Lennon