Siim Land

Singularity - Yay Or Nay

47 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, vizual said:

No way dude, I do daily meditation, self enquiry, chakra balancing, yoga and prayer. My guru told me my consciousness level is over 9000

xD LMAO.  I'm seeing a lot of that round here :)

Brand new Big Think video today by Steven Pinker on why AI is probably not the threat it's been portrayed as.

4 hours ago, DrMatthewsausage said:

@ChimpBrain Flawed video imo:

I agree. I've been saying throughout this thread that I fall into the "this is definitely something to worry about" camp. I didn't post it as truth with a capital T. It was just a brand new video from a reputable guy addressing the topic of the thread. :)

Can't watch your video right this second but will tomorrow! 

On 8/7/2016 at 3:53 AM, Philip said:

Consciousness doesn't have to be involved at all.

I thought everything is consciousness? So it has to be involved... right?

Edited by Lawrence

I write about scientific-based self-help, habits, productivity, creativity and ancient wisdom over at www.selfempoweredlife.com

"Lions don't lose sleep over the opinions of sheep" - The Internet

On 9/25/2016 at 4:34 PM, Lawrence said:

I thought everything is consciousness? So it has to be involved... right?

@Lawrence

Yes it has to be involved in a sense, because the scientists creating this super AI will most certainly be conscious. And also the people who become robots will most certainly be conscious both before and after their transformation. Even the AI we create on a computer might become conscious at some point. 

But what I mean is that developing those technologies doesn't require to understand consciousness at all. There is no need to model it. No need to master it. No need to talk about it.

Neurons are basically all you need to understand. Once you understand neurons, you can play with them. And once you play with them, the universe is at your fingertips.

4 hours ago, Philip said:

@Lawrence

Yes it has to be involved in a sense, because the scientists creating this super AI will most certainly be conscious. And also the people who become robots will most certainly be conscious both before and after their transformation. Even the AI we create on a computer might become conscious at some point. 

But what I mean is that developing those technologies doesn't require to understand consciousness at all. There is no need to model it. No need to master it. No need to talk about it.

Neurons are basically all you need to understand. Once you understand neurons, you can play with them. And once you play with them, the universe is at your fingertips.

Whatever is right or wrong, this is a fascinating topic! =)

I write about scientific-based self-help, habits, productivity, creativity and ancient wisdom over at www.selfempoweredlife.com

"Lions don't lose sleep over the opinions of sheep" - The Internet