Orange

Still Very Confused On This Morality Thing

49 posts in this topic

That's very interesting.

2 hours ago, abrakamowse said:

“Depth psychology has offered us ample clinical material and useful hypotheses which can help us to establish the following facts: there is a special type of personality, not rare, yet not the rule, which loves destruction and death.

This is depressing though .so psychology shows us that peace will never really be attainable..There will always be victims in this world as long as there are wolves

17 hours ago, Orange said:

That's very interesting.

This is depressing though .so psychology shows us that peace will never really be attainable..There will always be victims in this world as long as there are wolves

Peace will never be attainable if we act through our person-hood or false idea of self. There will be always victims and wolves in the world as long as the world continue believing in a false idea of a self who tell them you are "this" or "that". We are really nothing of that. We are consciousness.

So, there's hope. It will take time to reach at that point, but it will be done.

Don’t you realize that all of you together are the temple of God and that the Spirit of God lives in you?
1 Corinthians 3:16

@Orange  did you read the part that I marked in bold in what I posted? What do you think about it?

I will post it again here:

the pleasure in destruction is a "Secondary potentiality," a perversion which occurs necessarily when the primary, life-favoring potentialities fail to develop.

That's the important point for Fromm not the one that you choose to remark, think about why are you doing that.

That doesn't show that peace is unattainable, on the contrary. It gives us hope that those perversions can be transcended by our true nature.

Edited by abrakamowse

Don’t you realize that all of you together are the temple of God and that the Spirit of God lives in you?

1 hour ago, abrakamowse said:

the pleasure in destruction is a "Secondary potentiality," a perversion which occurs necessarily when the primary, life-favoring potentialities fail to develop.

Yes I saw this...but I don't quite understand this sentence..does the author provide an example to illustrate his point ?

That's the important point for Fromm not the one that you choose to remark, think about why are you doing that.

And yea I have a bad tendency to zoom on the negative,  I've been doing this all my life and im slightly depressed as well so it doesn't help 

That doesn't show that peace is unattainable, on the contrary. It gives us hope that those perversions can be transcended by our true nature.

Very cool. I like this. 

7 hours ago, Orange said:

Yes I saw this...but I don't quite understand this sentence..does the author provide an example to illustrate his point ?

No in that text that I found, I really know about Fromm but I am not an expert. If I find something I let you know.

But what I understand is that the natural tendency is to preserve life, that's why we have the preservation-instinct, for us as individuals but also for us as human race as a whole. Someone who goes against that instinct is a "perversion" (using Fromm's words) and it happens when the individual cannot "see" the natural state of things, that is "reality". In reality everything is perfect, our distorted view because of the thought process we can't see reality the way it is, so we see us as separated selves, that we are in "danger" because someone is going to "attack" us, or "steal" from us or whatever our distorted view of reality wants to see.

Edited by abrakamowse

I found something on human nature that's also worth to look at: 

It's a clip from the documentary zeitgeist

@Mal True. How could one describe enlightenment state....? Describing is a way of acting and is read as being in the "world" of? "separation"

And that is not found with enlightenment state.

@Orange You are concerned with the distinction between good and evil or right and wrong; right or good conduct. These things are not actually learned.  They are innate in you.  For example, some babies right from birth make a hell of trouble while other babies are so gentle, yet  there are exceptions to every rule as with gentle criminals.

Laws and conventions are made to put checks on what society abhors even when they are natural inclinations of man.  For example; all laws against what people do naturally are unnatural laws, which is why they are enforced by men who commit same in secret. 

There are more good people than there are  bad people, if not you cannot move a distance from your home.

Morality is taught but hardly learned. Only those who are good in the first place will listen or read morality lessons and adhere to the principles. Go ahead, write your thesis, pass your exams and carry on with your life; you won't make the world right, but you can make it beautiful.

Edited by Nenesha