Katiee

How Can I Get The Most Out Of My Retreat?

6 posts in this topic

Hey guys,

I'm going to arrange a 7 day retreat for early September. I'm not sure where yet. Maybe the Swiss Alps. Is location important? I'm planning to go and meditate a lot (something I'm new to). I wondered if you have any suggestions as to how to prepare for this and what to do while im there. I want to get the best out of it.

Katie 

@Katiee

If you can, start winding down for 2-3 days prior to your 7 day course.  Half the time spent on retreat unfortunately is the body "detoxifying" from conventional life, and there is a lot of tiredness mixed with restlessness while the body adjusts.  It's about day 4 where a stillness kicks in, which is a beautiful feeling as the meditation is then fully underway.

Is this a formal meditation retreat you are planning or a d.i.y. break?

depends on who does the retreat and what structure it has. generally, I would follow the instructions you are given.

It's a diy @Mal. That's good advice.  I will indeed wind down before I go. 

Hi Katiee,

The location is important in a sens that it will motivate you to meditate there, but it can also be used afterwards as an excuse by the mind to not want to meditate unless you find a peaceful place to do it. You can meditate anywhere, anytime.

The Swiss Alps are for sure a very good place to find inner peace. This is where I go to reload my batteries and to get centered again as I'm lucky enough to live close to them. 

As you are new to meditation, I encourage you to practice as much as you can until then, once or twice a day at least and to not expect anything about the place, about yourself and the outcome of the retreat.

I hope you'll find peace.

Who Am I to judge? When I think I know, I don't know that I don't know.

"Things don't change when they are understood. Understanding reinforces the intellect (the ego). The seeker has to make room to the meditative state."