Irina Irina

How Do You Raise Tolerance To Pain And Discomfort?

7 posts in this topic

I have observed at me, that I have very little tolerance to pain or discomfort. I go through the escape door all the time when I sense discomfort and pain, and this is a problem when it cames to self actualization.

One thing that I think will help me, is Cold Showers challenge. I cannot stand cold water. In this way maybe I get used to discomfort and learn to tolerate it and manage. 

Do you have any other ideas?

Only awareness raises the tolerance.

You could do cold showers but it won't necessarily raises your tolerance to discomfort because the ego can easily "grind it out" without actually raising awareness. The ego won't be fooled by tricks.

RIP Roe V Wade 1973-2022 :)

@Irina Irina

Meditate.

Actually, recognise the first noble truth : Life is suffering...

Then meditate

Edited by Mal

1 hour ago, Irina Irina said:

I have observed at me, that I have very little tolerance to pain or discomfort. I go through the escape door all the time when I sense discomfort and pain, and this is a problem when it cames to self actualization.

One thing that I think will help me, is Cold Showers challenge. I cannot stand cold water. In this way maybe I get used to discomfort and learn to tolerate it and manage. 

And actually, cold showers do work. They push you into the present moment. I remember when I had my first spiritual type experience, I used cold showers in the morning to remind me to become present.

1 hour ago, Irina Irina said:

you are attached to the pain body, any idea how long it took to do that?, becoming unattached wont happen for most, but it can be done, the more time you spend with pain the more it grows,  maybe your focus should be on the part of you that doesnt suffer, spend your time there instead of with pain. and the pain will slowly dissolve.

Start building up a mindfulness meditation habit or look into some strong determination sitting. 

@Irina Irina I too hated cold showers, but that technique is awesome! The focus thing @charlie2dogs is so true, "where attention flows, that thing grows".. like water on a seed...I find time was the best thing for my pain, I have more tolerance for it because I have lived with it for so long, and have learned to shift focus when possible... other things that have helped me which are probably not for you are:

Child birth, tattoos, piercings, etch... lol....