cle103

Self-inquiry Struggle (?)

23 posts in this topic

Hey there,

as it is now I am doing at least one hour of meditation a day. Most times I am attempting to do self-inquiry.
Here is my usual process:

1. become aware of my body and breathing

2. get a sense of myself

3. locate "myself" as a point in my head behind my eyes

4. ask "who perceives this point" or "who is aware of this feeling" until I get stuck

My struggle is that even though I can "locate myself" it is hard to open up my mind and get a true sense of "wondering". When I ask these questions nothing happens and if ask them over and over I get lost in thoughts because there is just no answer. What I found pretty helpful is imagining that I have no head. This kind of opens up my mind but not enough...

Do you have any suggestions? Any feedback is much appriciated! 

Cheers! 

2 hours ago, cle103 said:

Hey there,

as it is now I am doing at least one hour of meditation a day. Most times I am attempting to do self-inquiry.

2. get a sense of myself

4. ask "who perceives this point" or "who is aware of this feeling" until I get stuck

My struggle is that even though I can "locate myself" it is hard to open up my mind and get a true sense of "wondering". When I ask these questions nothing happens and if ask them over and over I get lost in thoughts because there is just no answer. What I found pretty helpful is imagining that I have no head. This kind of opens up my mind but not enough...

Cheers! 

why are you trying to locate (yourself) in your head and behind your eyes,  your physical body is a replication of consciousness,  instead of trying to pin the real self to this third eye teaching, maybe you should begin to experience the whole of consciousness that created your physical body,

@charlie2dogs Thank you for the reply. I do/did it because it was one of the instructions in the "how to become enlightened" video by Leo. Maybe I got it wrong but I am pretty sure. 
Regarding your advice: how would "you should begin to experience the whole of consciousness that created your physical body" look in practise? 

Thanks

1 hour ago, cle103 said:

@charlie2dogs Thank you for the reply. I do/did it because it was one of the instructions in the "how to become enlightened" video by Leo. Maybe I got it wrong but I am pretty sure. 
Regarding your advice: how would "you should begin to experience the whole of consciousness that created your physical body" look in practise? 

Thanks

when i say experience the whole of consciousness,  think about this your physical body is a replication  of consciousness, so is your physical body only a set of eyes for you to hide behind,  consciousness is carrying the physical body, giving it life, im just saying see as encompassing the whole body and you will have a clearer picture of consciousness itself.  some would see it as a ghost clinging to the body but in reality consciousness created this body to experience this life in and is supporting it giving it life and causing the functions of the human body to happen.

if you want to become enlightened ask those who are, and they can tell you how to function in a way that enlightenment might find you.  how would you know if you were talking to or listening to an enlightened being?

14 minutes ago, charlie2dogs said:

consciousness itself.  some would see it as a ghost clinging to the body but in reality consciousness created this body

@charlie2dogs Some see the self as a ghost clinging to body.

On 7/17/2016 at 8:05 AM, cle103 said:

Hey there,

2. get a sense of myself

Cheers! 

It sounds like you're on the right track with your self-inquiry practice. The issue may be that you're used to 'knowing' how to do self-inquiry and that the process has become automatic. Also, if you hit a brick wall and get silence from your mind, this is what's supposed to happen. A really good litmus test for how effective a practice is, is if it brings you to a place where your mind can't make sense of anything. So, it sounds like you're on track but have gotten used to the process and your understanding of what "should" be happening. Continue with the process, but try approaching it with fresh eyes by getting in touch with what you expect to happen if you were being "successful" with your self-inquiry, then empty your cup of those expectations. The thing that's telling you "it's not working right." is the mind and thoughts which are not you and don't originate for you. It is trying to throw you off track, by discouraging you. It's how the "ego" preserves itself.

If you’re interested in developing Emotional Mastery and feeling more comfortable in your own skin, click the link below to register for my FREE Emotional Mastery Webinar…

Emotionalmastery.org

On 7/17/2016 at 11:04 AM, charlie2dogs said:

why are you trying to locate (yourself) in your head and behind your eyes,  your physical body is a replication of consciousness,  instead of trying to pin the real self to this third eye teaching, maybe you should begin to experience the whole of consciousness that created your physical body,

I don't think he was referring to the third eye. In one of Leo's videos, he talked about us having this deeply ingrained but false idea that there is a "self" located behind the eyes or inside of the head. I've experienced this illusion too. So, the inquiry process recommends looking for a "self" there so that it can be noticed that there is no point there that could be labeled a "self."

If you’re interested in developing Emotional Mastery and feeling more comfortable in your own skin, click the link below to register for my FREE Emotional Mastery Webinar…

Emotionalmastery.org

@Emerald Wilkins The third eye correlates to self-inquiry, non-duality teaching.  It has absolutely nothing to do with enlightenment,  but you cannot see that because you are programmed to follow society, and societies pseudo "spiritual" teachings.

There is a self, but it is not located behind the eyes, it is located in another realm independent of space and time.  

Your non duality teachings are pure nonsense

1 hour ago, cetus56 said:

@charlie2dogs Some see the self as a ghost clinging to body.

Stop debating and start listening to somebody who actually knows what this is about.  You and your Adyashanti videos are bullshit. Pipe down and listen for once.  Your 35 year journey means jack shit and you are misleading people.

Edited by Mal

2 minutes ago, Mal said:

@Emerald Wilkins The third eye correlates to self-inquiry, non-duality teaching.  It has absolutely nothing to do with enlightenment,  but you cannot see that because you are programmed to follow society, and societies pseudo "spiritual" teachings.

There is a self, but it is not located behind the eyes, it is located in another realm independent of space and time.  

Your non duality teachings are pure nonsense

I thought we agreed not to exchange words because it's a waste of time and energy. I've got nothing to share with you that you don't already know. I've been keeping my end of the agreement. But you may want to reread my comment in context as I wasn't actually talking about the third eye. I was commenting on what I believed the original comment was referring to.

Emotionalmastery.org

Just now, Emerald Wilkins said:

I thought we agreed not to exchange words because it's a waste of time and energy. I've got nothing to share with you that you don't already know. I've been keeping my end of the agreement. But you may want to reread my comment in context as I wasn't actually talking about the third eye. I was commenting on what I believed the original comment was referring to.

Its not for you.  It's for people who dont buy into your spiritual ego bullshit.  

2 minutes ago, Mal said:

Its not for you.  It's for people who dont buy into your spiritual ego bullshit.  

At least it's a polite ego that doesn't spend hours a day hi-jacking forum threads and throwing random polemic arguments at people. I certainly am identified with ego though. I've never claimed otherwise. I know by contrast with my past experiences that I'm not enlightened. But if you really want to continue this swashbuckling match, feel free to PM me. Otherwise, don't waste my time and respectfully refrain from hi-jacking other people's threads.

Emotionalmastery.org

@cle103 As far far as I know, you seem to be doing it correctly. What I would suggest is that if the process feels too repetitive and mechanical, ask the same question in a different way that would incite genuine wonder and openness, or ask a different question entirely. 
Some different questions you could ask: 

1. "What is awareness?"
2. "Where within awareness is the border between self and other?"
3. "Is anything within awareness separate?"

Etc...

1 hour ago, Emerald Wilkins said:

Edited by Mal

55 minutes ago, Emerald Wilkins said:

At least it's a polite ego that doesn't spend hours a day hi-jacking forum threads and throwing random polemic arguments at people.

9 minutes ago, Mal said:

Why did you post my video?

Emotionalmastery.org

3 minutes ago, Emerald Wilkins said:

I think it has useful advice on learning to accept my non polite ego.:D

11 minutes ago, Emerald Wilkins said:

You do realize that you have a spiritual ego when you advise people on accepting themselves while at the same time blow up at people who you think exhibit the traits you clearly hate about yourself?

You know this is hypocrisy, right?

2 minutes ago, Mal said:

I think it has useful advice on learning to accept my non polite ego.:D

Fair enough. But I still don't understand what you derive from doing things the way you do. It does seem to be a waste of time for you, if you're really past trying to build up a superior ego with the realization of the illusion of separation. From my point of view, it seems like you're having a bunch of arguments with yourself. But what the heck do I know? Anyway, I'm supposed to be ignoring you... so fare thee well. ;)

Emotionalmastery.org

2 minutes ago, Mal said:

You do realize that you have a spiritual ego when you advise people on accepting themselves while at the same time blow up at people who you think exhibit the traits you clearly hate about yourself?

You know this is hypocrisy, right?

I'm definitely a hypocrite. I give great advice but very seldom follow it. I have a lot of blind spots but it's a work in progress.

Emotionalmastery.org