JayG84

Limiting Beliefs are my Prison!

4 posts in this topic

I settled on a career path when I was 20 years old and followed through with it. 5 Years of schooling, 13 years in total, doing something that I thought was a good field to go into for the money, security, and respect from my family. I have Job security for life if I want it. But this is not my passion.

I've spent the last 5 years going through my "spiritual journey" and taking a lot of time off work to do so. My friends and family think I'm crazy for taking months off at a time to try to find my life purpose and working on myself. They don't understand, but I've come to terms with that.

I've spent a lot of time and money on this spiritual journey, but I don't feel like I'm any further ahead. In some ways yes, like self-inquiry and meditation have helped me calm my mind. But a lot of my limiting beliefs are still keeping me in this "in between" state of - I don't want to go back to my established career - but I don't believe that I can succeed at my passion.

My Passion and Purpose is Music. That's literally the only thing I ever want to do with my life. I spend every day thinking about it, learning it, listening to it, making it.

But, some of my most toxic limiting beliefs are:

- I don't have enough talent/there are much better musicians than me.

- I'm too old now to start a music career, No one would take me seriously.

- The industry is too saturated and corrupted, there's no way anyone would give me a chance.

- My friends and family wouldn't like the kind of music I want to make, and I'd be to embarrassed to share it with them, or for them to know it even exists. So I would have to live a lie.

Conciously, I know these beliefs are false. The ego that's creating these beliefs isn't real, and that I'll never be able to live my purpose if I let these beliefs control me. But they don't even feel like thoughts or beliefs. They stem from a deep seeded inferiority complex that I can't seem to shake no matter how mush self-improvement I do. It limits my whole world to be so small. 

I feel like I'm doomed to be living in this "push-pull" state my whole life. I want to follow my purpose and passion but there's always this leach tht keeps me tethered to the life I don't want to live anymore. I don't want to "give up" and just go back to my 9 to 5 routine, doing the same thing every day, not being satisfied. But I'm also unable to believe I can be anything else. It's a horrible feeling. Like a prison of the mind.

Are there any ways I can overcome these deep seeded beliefs that I haven't tried yet? Are there any people here who feel the same way?

39 minutes ago, JayG84 said:

Are there any ways I can overcome these deep seeded beliefs that I haven't tried yet? Are there any people here who feel the same way?

1. What have you tried?

2. Yup, I feel the same. I felt this even more in the past. I know that I need to become a Leader. I know that I have to have learn my Craft and master it in a incredible fast pace.

If you ever feel too old think about what you'll think in 20 Years. Is your current age really that old from that perspective? Or would your 20 Year older self think that this was in hindsight a good time to start? I used that frame to get me started.

On the Internet you find Stories from Prodigies that are only 12 Years old and released their first World recognized Album from Covers from 60s Rock Classic. Or whatever Domain - you'll find Teen Prodigies. While this is really incredible the story for everyday Joe seems to be 'Look, you are 20/30/40/50/60/70 Years old and these Teen did better than you, so you are from a different kind - don't even try, stay in your little corner.'

Yeah it sounds corny, but you are never too old to start something new. This is really the result of the people around us living mediocre lives, where rarely someone tries something out of the box. Even if someone tries something at the age of 50 it's likely some cliche move.

Edited by supremeyingyang

@JayG84 It really is a Prison. When your whole Spirit is needing to switch paths, but reality pushes those thoughts away for being too radical or unconventional. Deciding that you aren't allowed to face your fears, that you aren't capable of being one of the few hardworking people to express and create for a living. It is like locking the artist inside and burning all their work. 

You have walked this long path for a reason. Age is not a realistic restriction. The only hurdle to overcome is the mind and its perceived limitations.

What I have found to help quiet the doubts and insecurities that arise when creating, is simply to not create for anyone, for no purpose, except for the enjoyment of creating and expressing whatever it might be. Make Music for you, for your enjoyment, no one else matters in the realm where you and passion come together to transcend reality and bring down something greater. Would you really enjoy the business mentality of creating? Where you have deadlines and restrictions to the way you are able to express? I found that I'd rather die without anyone having seen my work, than to create something for fame or for money, where it doesn't serve a deeper purpose, where it isn't being produced from my heart and soul. My opinion, but no one will understand and enjoy your creation as much as you will. So why create for any one else. 

Make sure your Safe and Stable. Provide for your loved ones, support your environment, and create your Music. There is no excuse, no logical reason why you aren't making music if you want to make music. Fuck Fame and all the Egocentric Self indulging shit that every basic Human wants to get. There are enough that will sell out and do anything. But if you can do it from home, on your own time. It will be authentic and unique to you. Start posting it on YouTube, join the communities, and when it resonates with others, it will eventually find its way to the ears and hearts that need it. All you have to do is be present and aware. Love your Life, follow your passions, and don't hold back. 

Is all that we see or seem

But a dream within a dream?

- Edgar Allen Poe 

3 hours ago, JayG84 said:

I settled on a career path when I was 20 years old and followed through with it. 5 Years of schooling, 13 years in total, doing something that I thought was a good field to go into for the money, security, and respect from my family. I have Job security for life if I want it. But this is not my passion.

I've spent the last 5 years going through my "spiritual journey" and taking a lot of time off work to do so. My friends and family think I'm crazy for taking months off at a time to try to find my life purpose and working on myself. They don't understand, but I've come to terms with that.

I've spent a lot of time and money on this spiritual journey, but I don't feel like I'm any further ahead. In some ways yes, like self-inquiry and meditation have helped me calm my mind. But a lot of my limiting beliefs are still keeping me in this "in between" state of - I don't want to go back to my established career - but I don't believe that I can succeed at my passion.

My Passion and Purpose is Music. That's literally the only thing I ever want to do with my life. I spend every day thinking about it, learning it, listening to it, making it.

But, some of my most toxic limiting beliefs are:

- I don't have enough talent/there are much better musicians than me.

- I'm too old now to start a music career, No one would take me seriously.

- The industry is too saturated and corrupted, there's no way anyone would give me a chance.

- My friends and family wouldn't like the kind of music I want to make, and I'd be to embarrassed to share it with them, or for them to know it even exists. So I would have to live a lie.

Conciously, I know these beliefs are false. The ego that's creating these beliefs isn't real, and that I'll never be able to live my purpose if I let these beliefs control me. But they don't even feel like thoughts or beliefs. They stem from a deep seeded inferiority complex that I can't seem to shake no matter how mush self-improvement I do. It limits my whole world to be so small. 

I feel like I'm doomed to be living in this "push-pull" state my whole life. I want to follow my purpose and passion but there's always this leach tht keeps me tethered to the life I don't want to live anymore. I don't want to "give up" and just go back to my 9 to 5 routine, doing the same thing every day, not being satisfied. But I'm also unable to believe I can be anything else. It's a horrible feeling. Like a prison of the mind.

YouTube Brain slave no. More.