Verg0

Investment in a meditation teacher

4 posts in this topic

So today I visited a little free lecture by a meditation teacher in my area about transcendental meditation. It was great, because me and my friend were the only people there so it was quite a personal meeting.

It was really nice to talk to him about all these different topics and he made the impression that he really knew what he was talking about. He is 73 years old and teaches transcendental meditation for 40 years now. He was personally trained by Maharishi Mahesh, was really present and talked a lot about transcendence of self, connection to source and a few different concepts. I don´t think he is that awake when it comes to God-conciousness or Love but I think that I can learn a lot from him. 

The problem is that his little course for learning transcendental meditation (4 days - 2 hours every day) is heavily overpriced: 590€!  That is really a lot of money for me at the moment... I would really love to learn from and talk to some experienced meditatiors in my area (and they are really rare here), because I want to learn some specific techniques and not just dabble around alone.

What do you guys think? Is that investment worth it or should I look for some other oppportunities? I have a lot of ideas and possibilities to invest my money into (more about that topic in another post). Is it wise to learn meditation from a teacher or can I do it for myself ( well I already did for 2 years now but I think there still is a lot of potential for growth)?

What do you think about transcendental meditation in general? 

It's a good practice but you don't need to spend money. The practice is just repeating a mantra (distinct sound) in the mind,without trying to control anything. Like,if the mind wanders off of the mantra into other thoughts,it's ok,you just come back to the mantra when you realize you're off it. You don't make any effort to hold on to it, or resist the mind from wandering,, don't control the way the sound is heard (hi pitch,low pitch,soft,loud etc.,), just make sure the pronunciation is correct. Don't control it's speed,or where it's located.

The book Deep Meditation by Yogani is a good example of TM, and cheap, not 590€.
He was a TM practitioner as well,and the book is basically how to do TM meditation without the cost of paying for the name.

Edited by Guru Fat Bastard

Could be that he is not awakened, some people like to do some exercises and just keep it at that, reap some benefits and stay rather ordinary.

Spiritual masters are not normal and don't seek to be liked, so most people like to avoid them as the plague.