Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
kindayellow

Stress Realization

4 posts in this topic

Something important I've noticed since being away from work for nearly 2 months. For months, whilst in the work week, I've been self sabotaging my own happiness and sabotaging even more when what I do inevitably doesn't work.

What I mean is. When I'm in the workweek, getting reading, working, time after work. I've found it impossible to relax and have peace of mind at the weekend. And it's been a never ending battle. Because I can never achieve this calm mindset it's always busy. I try and maximize the amount "freedom" once I get home from work by telling myself that I just go walk the dog, I must workout, I must spend time with the family. And then I simply notice that I feel no better. So I dig down and become even more rigid in my winding down activities after work, which does the opposite of what I'm trying to achieve! It's been a problem for at least 6 months. I set all these expectations for myself, and I get frustrated when I feel like I'm incapable of controlling my mind, so I control it even more. Just perfect example of neuroticism. Just wanted to share my experience and it's been a really relieving breakthrough.

Don't blame a clown for acting like a clown, ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.

@kindayellow

Sounds like you need heroin

Just joking, I think you need to stop setting so many expectations for yourself, and saying that only once these are achieved that you can relax

Just relax, learn to meditate and do it consistently, and you’ll gain better control of your mind

Practice some breathwork as well, I find that’s the best way to relax yourself

Here are some videos to help

https://youtu.be/cZ6cdIaUZCA

Heres an audio book I found useful

@IJB063 well it's funny because my goals are to relax. Like I get home from work and I'm subconsciously just saying like. Okay...RELAX! RELAX!!!! do this to relax!!!! Why aren't you relaxed yet! And then that stresses me out. And yes I've had some success with the win hof method, I like that one, feels like it reduces anxiety levels for me.

Don't blame a clown for acting like a clown, ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.

@kindayellow It’s not an exact quote but I can remember Alan Watts saying something along the lines of - attempting to stop thinking with more thoughts is like trying to sooth water with an iron, all you end up doing is stirring it up

Stop telling yourself to relax and just relax

Meditation is not something that is done

Meditation is what you are

You just need to realise it

Keep doing the Wim Hof method and especially start taking cold showers while doing breathing