Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TRUTHWITHCAPITALT

The Denial of Death by Ernest Becker

4 posts in this topic

I just finished reading this book. The book is 1974 Pulitzer Prize-winning for a reason. I recommend anyone who is committed to the "Truth with capital "T", is open minded and is courageous enough to challenge his/her belief to read it. Ernest Becker used some strong words filled with intelligence to analyze and invoke the reader for a critical thought on a taboo topic. This book is not about fetishization of psychology as a belief system. In fact, it is against it.

Fear of death is deeper than ideology. It is the primary motive of life along side heroic transcendence, victory over evil and the delusion of immortality. The author puts death into perspective with exquisite explanation and in congruence with Søren Kierkegaard, Sigmund Freud, Otto Rank and other's wisdom.

Definitely a "Leo's standard" book.

If I had to choose the best and most influential books I have read, this book is on the list for sure.

I've been recommending it in almost every "books conversation" .

It gives you this new elegant perspective on topics we rarely dare to talk about. And I love how the author addressed his points from philosophical point of view.

Great book indeed. It's one of my "on hold" projects, I'm considering translating it into Arabic. 

The Worm at the Core: On the Role of Death in Life

by Sheldon Solomon, Jeff Greenberg, Tom Pyszczynski

this book does a fantastic job of summarizing Becker's work and applying it to real life problems.