Igor82

How Can Music Raise Consciousness?

9 posts in this topic

I want to start a discussion on this, I know there are some musicians on here who could share their perspective on this, but I would like to hear any thoughts from anyone! :x ?

I am a musician and I got some few interesting points we can ponder over:

• What about the ASMR effect? Can we make music that can trigger our energies like this, but for consciousness? 
  • What about the trance state? When we merge with the music, most popular with Psytrance & Psychedelics
  • What about binarual beats? 
  • What about 3D soundscape? 
  • What about the chakras? 

Can we somehow integrate all of these factors into music? I would love to hear your thoughts!

I got an interesting model: simply, the chakras. And that we can, through indentifying how music connects to the chakras, know how we can raise consciousness with music, or know what song will become a hit or not (if we translate music into chakras and then into spiral dynamics) but ill post more on that later! ❤️

I’ve been producing music on my computer for 6 years now. Also I’ve been very interested in the inner workings of music. Some insights:

I realized is that a musical idea stands on itself, and is not the chords/sounds/rhythm/etc it is composed of. That is just a way to describe the musical idea to understand it/replay it. But the actual musical idea/song is its own entity. Its a prime example of “more than the sum of the parts”.

If you can make music, you can literally think of any idea and make it a musical idea. Just think of the idea and start making the song. It will be the soundtrack to that idea. Your mind & body (ofc you need your body to play instruments/control the computer) will automatically shape the song to fit your mental idea until it fits. This is the magic of music & the mind.

Music is primarily spiritual by nature, because it is pure creation. Secondarily it is emotional by nature, but we get the good emotions from it because we witness the beauty of the creation. And music is also physical by nature because it makes us move our bodies. And its mental in nature because music creates entire landscapes and stories in your mind. Of course these facets of emotional/physical/mental are really the same, strengthening and complementing one another. For example the dance (physical) hypes up the emotions even more.

Nevertheless music theory is important to understand how principles in music work, and how the maths of it work. It’s about seeing which musical ratios have specific sounds to them, and about increasing your vocabulary to discuss various elements of music in an intelligent manner.

On weed i had this weird but beautiful feeling that instruments are “holy mechanisms”. I mean look at a piano. It’s a machine but holy.

-Healing:

The beauty of music has healing properties because the beauty gives us a slice of life that we immensely enjoy and can appreciate. This heals our mind from the suffering that we face in life. Some music is made specifically for healing. Like I said any idea can be made into music, so also the idea of healing.

There are also many levels of the storytelling of music. Some forms like rap tell you the story literally, while other forms like classical & electronic music leave much up to the imagination, but the sounds still have a way of talking to you, even when its not a literal narrative like rap.

When I go to sleep I put on some healing music. This is my fav:

There are many like this, just search for “chakra healing” etc. They do wonders.

Edited by FlowerNote

Okay guys, thank you for the replies. Im SUPER PASSIONATE about this just so you guys know!! 

@FlowerNote In my insight, music is just how we perceive it to be. In truth, music is a form of perception. The musical idea you talk about is a perception in your mind! But its quite touch to pinpoint what this perception is made out of that it could be quite hard to express it accurately on the first try. There are a story about how chopin heard a melody in his head, as if it was a piano playing (the musical idea) and he was probably skilled enough to just play it out very accurately on the piano, but his memory faltered, and so he sat in his room trying over and over again to express the initial idea without success, and this could be regarded as tragic. I think its so nice to understand the components of music so that we can know how we can express this idea. And my bias here is mainly for the listener, of course, composing music can raise your consciousness, but im much more interested in how we can raise the consciousness of the listener.

------

So here we go, the chakras model. First, Id like to disclaim that I have not studied the chakras enough to know everything about them, although I have practiced Kriya yoga for a year and a half so I got some intuitions on this. And I know a guy who is really in tune with his chakras to even connect them to the spral dynamics model.In music, all components of a song can be explained with the 7 chakras. This is as nuanced as trying to explain human behavior through spiral dynamics to ill keep it simple:

• First chakra within music: This is the life force of the music, what makes music survive? In this case its the energy, its the vibrations themselves, the electricity, the sounds, the loudness. You know when you're sleepy? You cant put on a song with really open muladhara chakra because it doesnt resonate with your (slightly closed) first chakra at the moment, so you change to a calm song as if by instinct, well that instinct comes from your first chakra.
  • Second chakra within music: This is the sexual energy! And what is that? Its the rhythm, its the movement. So, in music, this is the beat, the rhythm, the variation of rhythm. The second chakra is all about rhythm in music, and music like funk (with super open svadhisthana) is felt there! Its felt in that area like a resonance, an urge to dance. Second chakra is all about rhythm, and music with closed second chakra is music you don't really dance to.
  • Third chakra within music: This one is hard to pinpoint, but its the why of music, of every note, of every sound. Why this sound and not some other sound? This certainty is felt in manipura. I press this tone because manipura, and I'm so certain of this tone that its felt in manipura. Its the poise, the why, the choose. This embraces: All the instruments, all the sounds. The purpose, the why. You know, some music is felt in the manipura because we know that it cant be expressed in any other way! Like as if the composer says: This tone, and no other tone, period. 
  • Fourth chakra: This is the heart chakra, and we all know this one! This is the love of emotional expression! We express our hearts! All those heartbreak songs, all those chords that we hear sometimes that just makes our hearts flutter, all of that, that's anahata. Its the melody! Its the note. The nuance, Its the chords, its all of that. The more closed this one is, the less heart we get into a song, the more death metal it is xD.
  • Fifth chakra: Vishudda! So, here its all about meaning. How do we express meaning? We do this by lyrics, or just by singing, its a message. The attempt to convey a message through music always comes from Vishudda, and that message is always felt by vishudda. And stage orange people these days are so opened in their fifth chakra (but closed in many else) that we must go the way of lyrics. This one is dangerous because we can express our ego. We can use a song to perpetuate Maya based on the meaning. Some people try to only focus on vishudda when trying to "raise consciousness through music" but they can only get so far as Leo can get you through his voice. Vishudda is the voice of the music, it can be implemented into a wordless melody, but its mostly implemented through lyrics.
  • Sixth chakra: the third eye: Oh boy, this one is different. You know when you take psychedelics and listen to music? The music is the same, but the way you perceive it is different. Anja (sixth chakra) is all about the perception of music, but it can be implemented into music as well. Anja is how all of the musical components that are explained below interconnect with each other!!! Below, in the first 5 chakras, you have all the components of music, take one component of music (the flick of a string on the guitar) r and we can assign it to chakra no 2, 3, 4 or 5 (+ chakra number 1). But charka 6 is all about how all of those components interconnect. Like when you take a psychedelic and all of a sudden, the music interconnects with your experience like 1000x more than it did before, and this is because of Anja. Now, we can make it so that we can interconnect chakra 2,3,4 & 5 so well, that it sounds just as good as if you were tripping, listening to music, right!!! Because that is possible! Because music is just sounds after all, and how we perceive it is actually totally dependent on how the music sounds in your experience! and so its possible to make music which sound so fucking good, just as if you were tripping.
    • Of course, you must also include the visuals, the feelings and the imagination, of course you can explain everything you see by the chakras as well somehow, so in the psychedelic experience, the chakras are also affected by what you feel, see and hear interconnected. All I'm saying is that the interconnection of all of this is how we see the beauty (Third eye).
  • And so what is Sahasrara, well, guess. Its the absence of thoughts!!! Ego dies. You kill off the thoughts so much that it is as if you're merging with the music. And this is possible, because we can stimulate the psychedelic experience by radically opening Anja but having the first 5 chakras very open, then interconnecting all of that so that anja may be opened, and when every chakra at the bottom is opened, then guess what!!? The 7th chakra opens!!! Absence of thoughts. Trance.

So, today's music is limited. How? In the audioscape. Its just stereo. A real audioscape has infinite more potential for combining tones. You know how you can hear if something is approx. 2 meters away and behind you on your right side? Or you can hear how things are in front if you? This is because of your ears! And this creates a field!! In this field, you will trigger the ASMR effect. This is the field I'm talking about: 

In the Tucker zone, we can really make music so psychedelic and so ASMR'ic that is opens up our anja like music on acid. And this opens up our sasharara.

Do you get what I am seeing? Think of a song which has all the open chakras, infinitely dancing in the tucker zone, to make your imagination go crazy, to make your energy go crazy, it will include binarual beats, whatever, and will be JUST LIKE a psychedelic experience. This is why we cant express the psychedelic experience through music, because we don't have the tucker zone.

Edited by Igor82
Spelling

The most spiritual music set & setting I can imagine with today's music is tripping on a darkpsy festival. Darkpsy is really bad at the moment, its can be 1000x better. This is the absolute best darkpsy song I have found so far: https://open.spotify.com/album/6hff31dWavvOgd2ZwRbDWj?highlight=spotify:track:7vHUHOJI95Cbe5e2zNgyKz (Live to love). This song has a lot of first chakra, but not much second chakra (rythm is too consistent), a lot of third chakra (in the vibrations), but vague third chakra in all the other stuff besides the main vibrations) this one, apart from other darkpsy has a more of heart chakra (like 2/10) , and just a little bit of 5th chakra, in the meaning, but it can be so much better. But because of the beat and all the effects, if you really listen to it, to ravishes your ANJA, I mean, it goes deep. Because you can find soo many interconnections. This opens up your Anja and kills your thoughts, thus all the thoughts that comes up. Maybe your ego resist, or maybe the music is not resonating with the other chakras, or something.

So imagine yourself in a festival setting: Your bottom five chakras are opened more because you are around people you love, you're not hungry, you are dancing. Now, imagine that you take LSD, and imagine this music blasting all around you. Now, that will trance you up. Because you will see a lot of combos, everything melts together. And in that space, your ego disappears. It could certainly be tied into how open your chakras are at that point. 

The next level for music is the tucker zone. Man, just imagine!!! WE can create an entire psychedelic experience by stimulating the senses, the imagination, feelings, the chakras, by just having one sit down with a pair of fucking headphones. We can raise peoples consciousness! ARRHGHGHGH!!  The passion. :x

Ps: I think that our imagination comes from Anja, right? We apply an interconnection to reality to enhance beauty. 

Pps: About piano being a holy instrument, think about it. By pressing a single note, we trigger all of the 5 bottom chakras!!! (note, rhythm, poise, energy, expression) And by then pressing more notes, we trigger Anja, and with enough interconnections to how that connects to your perception of reality, man, you will cry and your ego will die.

Guys there are so many components, how does chakras tie into spiral dynamics, etc. But Ill trust the purple cow. If people could take their headphones and listen to such music that gives a spiritual experience, I swear to god that they will do it. 

I think this is my life purpose. Man, ive been sitting with the life purpose course, but the level of passion I feel right now really points to something :DDD, if I'm gonna work my whole life on something, it will be to induce enlightenment experiences through music just as psychedelics does. Somehow!! It can be so great!! Ill do this even if I were the last man on earth!!! Most certainly when I have 100 million dollars, Ill pour everything I've got into this and die in love along the way. 

Ambient music is a big portion of my spiritual practice. My reset. If there is ever a point where I go off track on my spiritual path or become burnt out I utilize ambient for purification. 

Might sound silly, I know.  But works so why not?

@Artaemis I think ambient music is made to celebrate the emotional beauty of the now, its somehow made to combine with the state of calm behind everything. I also Love ambient! Any recommendations?