Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Forestluv

A new course on The Structure of Mind

3 posts in this topic

I’d like to get some input from those of you that may be interested in a new course I am developing for freshman-level University students.

I’ve agreed to teach a “First Year Seminar” next fall to incoming freshman students at a University. This is both a blessing and burden. The blessing is that teachers are given a huge amount of leeway in course content  - it can be outside of their academic expertise. So, I can explore, learn and create most anything in my interest. The burden part is that it can be difficult to get 18 year old students to “buy in” and become genuinely interested and engaged in the material. 

I am using a broad title of “The Structure of Mind” so that I can have LOTS of space this summer to explore and create. I want to have content that is interesting, expands their minds and has practical value in their lives, yet normally isn’t taught in schools. I’d love to hear what you may find interesting.

In terms of structure, I would like to integrate a range of areas including: neuroscience, mysticism, existentialism, psychology and cognition development. I’ve previously taught a course on Spiral Dynamics and may use some of that material, so I’m good there. 

In terms of brainstorming, here are a few rough ideas appearing:

— What is imagined and real? We could explore lucid dreaming and how other cultures view the intersection of dreams and reality. As well as the neuroscience.

— What is a Collective Group Mind? We could examine things like the Group Mind of indigenous tribes. Also, the Group Mind of animals, such as bee colonies.

— Animal Mind vs Human Mind. What are differences between the minds of animals and humans? How has evolution and fitness shaped the minds of different species?

— The construction of beliefs and self identity.

— The mind of meditation and yoga.

— Psychedelics and the Mind. Community psychedelic ceremonies, Ayahuasca, shamans

— Various mind states such as Schizophrenia.

— Flow states of consciousness

— Meta views

— What is creativity?

Part of my goal is to challenge myself and expand. So, I’d appreciate if you have any examples within the areas above or new areas that might be cool to explore. 

The difference between the brain and the mind and how these two interrelate.

Bearing with the conditioned in gentleness, fording the river with resolution, not neglecting what is distant, not regarding one's companions; thus one may manage to walk in the middle. H11L2

• Animals have a higher level of intuition as compared to humans. 
  • Mind over matter. Can we influence matter with mind. 
  • The phenomenon of spontaneous human combustion, is it psychological or biological. 
  • You can hold a lecture on biofeedback technology... Mind over matter techniques used in biofeedback 

Look into this video for accompanying your studies 

Edited by Preety_India

INFJ-T,ptsd,BPD, autism, anger issues

Cleared out ignore list today.