NERDSTEAK

Does Self-hypnosis Help To Actualize Yourself?

11 posts in this topic

Recently, I read self-hypnosis book and though: Does it help me actualize myself  ?. As it contains suggestion to your subconscious mind and change your mindset faster than self affirmation. I would like to hear some of your thoughts about it.

The book I read listed below

• Instant Self-Hypnosis: How to Hypnotize Yourself with Your Eyes Open by Forbes Robbins Blair 

Edited by NERDSTEAK

I find that a good question. At the moment i am looking for such myself. I cant give a clear answer on that unfortunately.
Let's hope some person, with good insights on this topic, can give a better answer.

I remember Leo mentioning in a video that self-hypnosis is a tool for self-actualization... but I forgot which one. :|

I think it is indeed a tool that can be very useful for some people. But like all tools, it must be used properly and not relied on for too much or too long. 

Personally, I tried it, and it did help me overcome the battle I was in at that time. I've since moved away from it, but some of the things I learned still benefit me, such as dealing with stressful situations or when I want to lucid dream or enjoy the interesting sensations of being in a natural altered state simply because it's fun. 

I had some difficulty learning to do it initially because I think in words and letters, I have a very hard time sustaining a picture in my mind, but there are lots of resources for different ways of doing it if you look long enough. Eventually your own mind starts to figure out how to do it on its own if you don't hold too tightly to what someone else says. 

It's fun, though. Don't take it too seriously and you might find it helpful... Or not. If you aren't being too serious about it, it doesn't hurt to try. :) 

@Anicko Do you have any recommendations on books or perhaps youtube channels with good audio guidance? I have been to a two day workshop in hypnosis but I wasn't able to get hypnotized during the workshop. I have trouble with letting go of control and I think I wasn't too comfortable in front of other people. But I have tried listening to some guided hypnosise on youtube, usually as I go to bed but I think I have only fallen asleep. Would you say it's better to do while siting up and not while going to bed? 

@LinLin I had the best success learning laying down because I could keep myself from falling asleep unless I was seriously just too tired (I would have fallen asleep sitting up too!). I was not able to reach a "hypnotic" state until I got really good at basic meditation though, and that took me a little bit to learn. You need to be even more relaxed than when you meditate! 

As for books, I read a few. Self hypnosis for dummies was okay for explaining the basics (I love the for dummies books for learning the basics of many things!), but I spent most of my time scouring the Internet for different methods. 

Lilian Eden has some good guided meditation videos, but one in particular, "Perception: unbound mind" for some reason really knocks me into an altered state (it's so much fun!!). I don't know how or why, but I like to use it every now and then. 

Jason Stephenson has nice videos as well. 

Then there is one by Suzanne Robichaud called 'Training you mind to let go of thoughts that do not serve you' that also gets me relaxed enough to get into an altered state, and I like to ignore her command to wake up at the end and keep working on letting go in silence after the video ends until I'm ready to come out of it. 

I feel like the biggest problem while learning is being completely relaxed, no distractions. You are sort of finding that window between awake and asleep, and I can't say the way it feels for me is the same way you'd experience it... Sometimes I actually feel myself drop into the state, other times I don't really realize I'm there until I'm ready to get up. 

I wish I could provide more help, but it's the kind of thing you just have to keep trying until suddenly you discover you've done it. I hope you figure it out, it's a very interesting experience!! 

Thanks for your input! I'm gonna try the videos and actually I recently borrowed a book on self-hypnosis which I hope will help as well. I'm just gonna keep on trying :)

Are you experienced with meditation? I just think of how 'they' say when you meditate, you must stay awake/aware for it to be meditation, when you reach an altered state, you are no longer "meditating", and to me that is fair to say, because when you cross the line into that body sleep/brain awake, that's the hypnotic state. 

When you feel it, you'll know it. 

What's neat is that once you learn how to reach it at will, lucid dreaming becomes way easier to do when you want to, as well. I, personally, don't attach much meaning to dreams, but they are loads of fun and give you plenty to think about sometimes! 

You could also try binaural beats. Doesn't seem to work for me, but everyone is different. Doesn't hurt to try. 

Dr. Steve g jones check his hypnosis once you do that you will get many other options too try listening to them and see which one suits you best 

I'm doing now david mcgrow meditation - hypnosis, as I find it really hard to just sit and meditate. It's good.