dboyle

Why Am I So Drawn Towards Great Leaders And Fighters?

4 posts in this topic

Ever since I was young (like 6 years old or something), I have always been immensely drawn towards great leaders/fighters that I either read about or watch about.

These people don't even have to be real; I have been emotionally drawn towards certain characters that I see on TV programs or movies, that they inspire me so much when I watch them or listen to what they have to say, that I am sometimes forced to tears because of it. 

This first started when I was around 6, and was watching Dragonball Z, and was sometimes drawn to tears because of the way some of the characters were like in the heat of battle.

As I've gotten older I'm more drawn towards people like Gandhi, Mandela, or even Hitler from the sheer passion he showed, as well as some characters like Jon Snow & Bruce Wayne.

I see the passion that they have and the noble way some of them live their lives, a life bigger than their own, and wish so bad that I could cultivate a life with the same amount of passion, if not more.

Also, I have never ever felt that others around me feel the same. Whenever I talk about some of the inspiring leaders that have come and gone, nobody around me really cares what they did, who they were, how they lived their lives, what they taught us etc. 

How are your emotions when you see/read some of this sort of stuff? 

Am I just a sap for falling too easily in terms of my emotions (since others around me don't), or is this something deeper? Like, is it part of what I need in my life, or part of how I should live my life?

[Btw, I don't EVER cry at other things. This is probably the only aspect of my life where I am bought to tears. Not proper crying my eyes out, but just a little tear falling down my cheek]

So, what do you think? 

@dboyle

Read the book by Joseph Campbell -  The Hero With A Thousand Faces

2 hours ago, dboyle said:

Ever since I was young (like 6 years old or something), I have always been immensely drawn towards great leaders/fighters that I either read about or watch about.

These people don't even have to be real; I have been emotionally drawn towards certain characters that I see on TV programs or movies, that they inspire me so much when I watch them or listen to what they have to say, that I am sometimes forced to tears because of it. 

This first started when I was around 6, and was watching Dragonball Z, and was sometimes drawn to tears because of the way some of the characters were like in the heat of battle.

As I've gotten older I'm more drawn towards people like Gandhi, Mandela, or even Hitler from the sheer passion he showed, as well as some characters like Jon Snow & Bruce Wayne.

I see the passion that they have and the noble way some of them live their lives, a life bigger than their own, and wish so bad that I could cultivate a life with the same amount of passion, if not more.

Also, I have never ever felt that others around me feel the same. Whenever I talk about some of the inspiring leaders that have come and gone, nobody around me really cares what they did, who they were, how they lived their lives, what they taught us etc. 

How are your emotions when you see/read some of this sort of stuff? 

Am I just a sap for falling too easily in terms of my emotions (since others around me don't), or is this something deeper? Like, is it part of what I need in my life, or part of how I should live my life?

[Btw, I don't EVER cry at other things. This is probably the only aspect of my life where I am bought to tears. Not proper crying my eyes out, but just a little tear falling down my cheek]

So, what do you think? 

Sounds like the warrior archetype is active in you. These probably reflect something about you at a deep level. For me, leaders and fighters have never quite gotten to me at a deep level with the exception of those whose causes have stirred me. I would look up information on archetypes, which is a Jungian concept. Mal recommended "The Hero with 1000 faces" which relates to this. But there's a ton of other great books written on the warrior archetype as well.

Edited by Emerald Wilkins

If you’re interested in developing Emotional Mastery and feeling more comfortable in your own skin, click the link below to register for my FREE Emotional Mastery Webinar…

Emotionalmastery.org

@dboyle

yea man, I resonate and relate to certain energies like that as well. It's not a bad thing at all. Shelter it, respect it, give it space to "breathe" and express through you in ways. It is as much a set of standards as a feeling and preference.

It's a beautiful thing when that part of yourself has a chance to mature and develop. When the care, passion, and responsibility of a life that can match those standards expresses freely through you. 

But its also a grievous thing too. All heroes or leaders learned from gaining scars in struggle. But that's not something to run from. There is beauty in fragility and meaning gained from courage and risk. 

Edited by Salaam