Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Taurus

Addicted To Seeking Answers Online

6 posts in this topic

Do you ever feel like you are addicted to/brainwashed by self help online? Specifically, seeking out answers to how you should live instead of figuring it out for yourself. I ask because I've read so many things about how I should go about life (relationships,health,etc) and I find myself completely overloaded with "what I should do". How do you find a balance between reading/watching self help and not feeling frozen or brainwashed by it..

@Taurus Become the guy/girl with the answers and that will help you more, because what you end up doing is solving your own issues by telling others what to do.

@Taurus i slightly disagree with @Mal when he/she says:

14 hours ago, Mal said:

Become the guy/girl with the answers and that will help you more

because it's possibly the reason why so many people look for answer outside: they hope maybe one day they will be able to find a solution when... or if...

In my point of view nobody has to become someone just look deep and honestly..

You already have all the answers within you and if you observe your problems quietly from every side until you reach the core, you get much better answers than anybody else could give you :)

18 hours ago, Taurus said:

Do you ever feel like you are addicted to/brainwashed by self help online? Specifically, seeking out answers to how you should live instead of figuring it out for yourself. I ask because I've read so many things about how I should go about life (relationships,health,etc) and I find myself completely overloaded with "what I should do". How do you find a balance between reading/watching self help and not feeling frozen or brainwashed by it..

In my opinion, consistently seeking is a great attitude towards getting the things you want. You may see a lot of conflicting evidence for handling the situations you need answers on, hence leaving you in the mindset of "what do I do?"

Having the knowledge is one thing, but putting the knowledge in practice, that's where you will find the balance, or simply find what works for you. One way is not the only way. It will require a level of awareness to recognize opportunities for you to practice what you read online.

Even Leo admits to spending tens of thousands of dollars a year on education and I know Rsdtyler also spends vast amounts on education as well. Keep learning. It's true many things must be learned by oneself, as the dao te ching put it "the eternal dao is nameless" meaning for certain bits of profundity, no sage can 'tell' you what it is really and that you must learn it on your own (or that's my interpretation). Do both. External learning is a tremendous resource which can assemble the most potent bits of experience and wisdom collected over millenia from the most wise and accomplished and pursuit of the 'dao' is endlessly profound and enjoyable. You are going to be learning your whole life. You'll be able to sort things out eventually, as your mind becomes more and more capable of rendering complexity and paradox coherently. Start simple and work you way up from there.

There is a point where you have to completely disregard all you have learned. If you haven't experienced it, it doesn't exist and is a thought. It may seem scarier to go on this journey with no information but the more you learn, the more traps there are as Leo says.