Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Ross Labby

Frustration with Life Purpose

3 posts in this topic

So last year I had made a post regarding my choice of my life purpose. After lots of consideration, I had decided to dive into music and had went into a college program for it as well; also I'm currently working on an album. However, lately I have taken a step back and have been reconsidering my options such as other endeavours such as podcasting, film, comedy, and etc.

And then yesterday I was rewatching some of the Life Purpose Course videos. When I was watching the Zone of Genius video, Leo mentioned that your life purpose should scare the shit out of you. And yes I absolutely understand and agree with this since the thing that excites you or a big dream that you have can be frightening with regards to stepping out of your comfort zone and achieving it. However, when this point had came up, I had thought of athletics and sports and this had started to scare me. Now here's the thing @Leo Gura and other forum members, I really have no interest or passion in sports. When I was younger I did have an interest and did play sports, but then as I had grew up that interest had died. Now I'm not sure what to think of this. Over the past day I've been feeling very anxious and frustrated about this and part of me is thinking that what if I am fearing having a life purpose that I do not have an interest in or do I actually have a passion for this which is repressed (I take the whole notion of life purpose very seriously, so maybe I'm overthinking this). Does this mean I secretly have a passion for athletics and sports or is my mind just playing games with me? Maybe I'm misinterpreting or not understanding Leo's point. What do you guys think about this whole situation? What do you think I should do? It would be much appreciated if I can get some clarification and advice, thank you :)

@Ross Labby  How are other areas of your life? 

How are your practices, like meditation yoga etc? Would you consider yourself on the path to enlightenment?

For me my life purpose came together when I was in intense seeking, I was doing multi hour meditation sessions in the float tank and the insights about LP just came to me.

I think having a strong foundation of spirituality and self help makes life purpose a lot easier. A lot of those concerns you mentioned are legit, and there's no real way of knowing that what you're doing is the best and you couldn't have done better in another area. But that's true of anything we choose to go after.

Maybe Michael Jordan would have been happier as a baseball player rather than a basketball player. But at some point you have to have confidence in yourself and your ideas.

Also who's to say you can't do music, and then start a podcast about music? You can be multi dimensional, no reason to limit yourself.

@Raptorsin7 My other areas of life are alright I guess; I am currently finishing college.

I do meditate every day, but I wouldn't necessarily say that I am on the path to enlightenment (yet).

That's true, it really is hard to say what we would be happier with and sometimes we just need to go with our gut.

I think my problem is that  I seek people's validation on the forum more so than their advice. So I'll just have to go with my gut and maybe try some new things out and see where they take me. 

I really do feel like music is my life purpose since I am passionate about the medium and about sending my message (making an impact) through it. But sometimes I get these other feelings and urges towards other endeavours like film and such. And as I had said in my prior post, I felt a deep resistance towards athletics and still can't decipher whether that's a signal for my life purpose or whether it is just because I am am not as physically active as I was when I was younger and enjoyed playing some of these sports/games.

Yes, podcasting is very much a passion of mine as well. Although, I do not want to have too many things/mediums to master as this will become more frustrating and unfocused.

But anyways, thank you for your advice! :)

Now it's time to put on my big boy diapers and figure this out ;)