Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JonasVE12

Bloodwork results

8 posts in this topic

I have recently seen a functional medicine doctor to get comprehensive blood work done and although I have to go back to have the second half of the results, I already have a good idea about my systemic issues that play a roll in my cognitive impairment that resulted in problems and hindering of my ability to concentrate, memory, speech, creativity, reasoning ability, mood, energy. 

I have quite a few deffiencies, such as Omega 3, Vitamine d, vitamine A, Vitamine E, Selenium, Zinc, Magnesium, Folate, B12. 

Also have high levels of homocysteine, bad sleep quality and Hypothyroidism which apparently is a result of my selenium and zinc deffiency. 

Also am intolerant to wheat and been eating wheat my whole life.  I also tested my neurotransmitter levels so I'll get those results back in a couple of days.

So, I will be supplementing to get rid of this deffiencies, but I want to know, Is there something I need to know about the way these compounds get absorbed by the body? I heard vitamine d needs fat to be absorbed. Are there other things to consider in terms of absorption? 

Also, my doctor said that after 3 months of proper supplementation, my blood levels will return to normal. I wonder, after that period, what supplements are wise to keep taking? I already changed my diet to one that is more rich in micronutrients. I just want to know what vitamins are difficult to have enough of in a common diet and where most people are defficient in and that are therefore wise to supplement. 

The thing I'm worrying about is if when I resolve all these problems, that my cognitive function will not come back. This thing bottered me for a long time, It became difficult to conversate with people as I have this brainfog where I cant think clearly, cant comprehend what people say to me, and all these other things. I do remember 5 years ago that my mind was really sharp. To me it felt like I was lucky with the fact that I had born with the intellectual abilities that I had back then, because I saw lots of people needing to put a lot of effort in getting good grades, where I had to read something ones and get it, and remember it.

Now it hinders me because the path of self actualization is heavy on the intellect and depends a lot on it. So I want to optimize it of course. I kind of lost the contrast with how my mind functioned 5 years ago so this kind of became my natural state, so I worry if it will become like it used to be...

any insight?

20 minutes ago, JonasVE12 said:

I have quite a few deffiencies, such as Omega 3, Vitamine d, vitamine A, Vitamine E, Selenium, Zinc, Magnesium, Folate, B12. 

Also have high levels of homocysteine, bad sleep quality and Hypothyroidism which apparently is a result of my selenium and zinc deffiency. 

Do you remember your homocysteine levels? This is a tricky indicator because some people have genetic snips that make it more difficult for them to convert homocysteine to methionine in a metabolic cycle called methylation. If you are going to supplement, there are some specific supplement, B12, B6 and folate are absolutely necessary although some trials showed that once homocysteine is too high, these alone are not enough to drop it. 

The ideal ways to get these is B12 as methylcobalamin, folate as 5-methylfolate and B6 as pyridoxal-5-phosphate. At the same time if you eat a lot of animal protein (especially muscle meat), I would look to reduce as these contain a lot of methionine and also not go too crazy on protein overall as a lot of ammonia is being produced from that which taxes methylation. 

The hypothyroidism will naturally make you more sluggish and brain-fogged and it is very possible that this is due to nutritional deficiencies especially selenium, zinc, vitamin A and vitamin D. Btw did they test thyroid antibodies for Hashimoto's? Do you know what thyroid values they looked at? Did they test iodine? 

I think it might be worth taking those tests and working with a nutritionist or naturopath to help you create a good dietary and supplemental regime. Don't go buying cheap supplements as I think you may need more specific, preformed doses that can be hard to get right just figuring on your own. 

Good luck!!

Edited by Michael569

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

8 hours ago, Michael569 said:

Do you remember your homocysteine levels? This is a tricky indicator because some people have genetic snips that make it more difficult for them to convert homocysteine to methionine in a metabolic cycle called methylation.

It was +8,3

If you are going to supplement, there are some specific supplement, B12, B6 and folate are absolutely necessary although some trials showed that once homocysteine is too high, these alone are not enough to drop it. 

The ideal ways to get these is B12 as methylcobalamin, folate as 5-methylfolate and B6 as pyridoxal-5-phosphate. At the same time if you eat a lot of animal protein (especially muscle meat), I would look to reduce as these contain a lot of methionine and also not go too crazy on protein overall as a lot of ammonia is being produced from that which taxes methylation. 

Great, ill look into it

The hypothyroidism will naturally make you more sluggish and brain-fogged and it is very possible that this is due to nutritional deficiencies especially selenium, zinc, vitamin A and vitamin D. Btw did they test thyroid antibodies for Hashimoto's? Do you know what thyroid values they looked at? Did they test iodine? 

Good to know. And I don’t know. They tested TSH and T4. Yes, iodine levels were ok although I don’t eat a lot of food that contains iodine. 

Thanks @Michael569, I already hoped you’d answer on here haha. I’ll attach some pictures of the results maybe it’s more clear then?

7C9B252E-EEB3-4568-AAA4-6117130F4F10.jpeg

4D24E840-3DB4-4BE3-9F3A-DCC3B95B1D43.jpeg

3D620861-4C81-48AF-BF9B-C1C986709B92.jpeg

A7057C32-6DCB-4BB1-855D-6535DBD9DED4.jpeg

Edited by JonasVE12

phew...I think you should definitely work with a qualified practitioner mate, there is quite a bit going on. It is hard to assess the full scope without spending  3 hours talking about everything, past illnesses, past medical treatments etc. 

What I see from above: 

* High TSH indicates irresponsive thyroid - depends on who you talk to it may not be enough to diagnose hypothyroidism but enough to look into treatment options. They only tested TSH and T4 though which does not tell whether there are antibodies and potential Hashimoto's 

* Your lipid profile is all over the place - Omega 3s are extremely low and Arachidonic Acid the lowest metabolite of Omega 6 is very high. The ratio of Arachidonic Acid to EPA is not good either. I think alongside other you will need to megadose Omega 3s for some time. Again, work with someone on this to get the correct dosing. 

* nutritional deficiencies - surprisingly iodine is good but lot of the other ones are very low. 

* Homocysteine - if this was UK it would be ok, still it is not awful and getting in enough B12, Folate and B6 may help push it down

* Dopamine - I'm a bit confused about the levels on the report. But according to them it is low, this could easily be due to lack of nutrients because you need quite a few cofactors to convert Phenylalanine all the the way to Dopamine

* Adrenaline - this one is very low. I don't know how accurate test are for adrenaline. It is a shame they did not measure cortisol. But we could suspect some adrenal exhaustion or just lack of cofactors. Adrenaline is made from the same pathway as dopamine and if yiou struggle with building blocks, either pathway will be stopped. 

*antibodies - towards the end, I see IGg antibodies to "Tarwe" (gluten?) seems like you are reacting but IgG testing is not 100% reliable. 

I think you should find someone you trust. A functional doctor or nutritionist and work with them. It may take a couple months to fix some of these things such as the lipid profile and thyroid but better start earlier than later. Also I think you need further testing for thyroid antibodies, organic acids and maybe adrenal profile but this should be supervised by someone who knows what they are doing. 

Good luck and let us know in some time how it went :)

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

10 hours ago, Michael569 said:

phew...I think you should definitely work with a qualified practitioner mate, there is quite a bit going on. It is hard to assess the full scope without spending  3 hours talking about everything, past illnesses, past medical treatments etc. 

What I see from above: 

* High TSH indicates irresponsive thyroid - depends on who you talk to it may not be enough to diagnose hypothyroidism but enough to look into treatment options. They only tested TSH and T4 though which does not tell whether there are antibodies and potential Hashimoto's 

Isn't that unlikely that I have hashimoto's?

* Your lipid profile is all over the place - Omega 3s are extremely low and Arachidonic Acid the lowest metabolite of Omega 6 is very high. The ratio of Arachidonic Acid to EPA is not good either. I think alongside other you will need to megadose Omega 3s for some time. Again, work with someone on this to get the correct dosing. 

How can I have a more balanced lipid profile? By specifically taking omega 3? Or are there also other lipids out of balance? 

* nutritional deficiencies - surprisingly iodine is good but lot of the other ones are very low. 

* Homocysteine - if this was UK it would be ok, still it is not awful and getting in enough B12, Folate and B6 may help push it down

* Dopamine - I'm a bit confused about the levels on the report. But according to them it is low, this could easily be due to lack of nutrients because you need quite a few cofactors to convert Phenylalanine all the the way to Dopamine

* Adrenaline - this one is very low. I don't know how accurate test are for adrenaline. It is a shame they did not measure cortisol. But we could suspect some adrenal exhaustion or just lack of cofactors. Adrenaline is made from the same pathway as dopamine and if yiou struggle with building blocks, either pathway will be stopped. 

*antibodies - towards the end, I see IGg antibodies to "Tarwe" (gluten?) seems like you are reacting but IgG testing is not 100% reliable. 

Tarwe means wheat. I feel I'm reacting to it because when I do eat it, I get bloating and feel insanely tired.

I think you should find someone you trust. A functional doctor or nutritionist and work with them. It may take a couple months to fix some of these things such as the lipid profile and thyroid but better start earlier than later. Also I think you need further testing for thyroid antibodies, organic acids and maybe adrenal profile but this should be supervised by someone who knows what they are doing. 

Good luck and let us know in some time how it went :)

Yes, but it's difficult to find people who know this stuff deeply. The functional medicine doctor I found in my country is the only one I found.

anyways, thanks for the information. I'll start figuring this out more. It's good that I've done testing as now I can act more appropriately but still, for someone who doesn't know this stuff, it's difficult to interpret this information.

16 hours ago, JonasVE12 said:

Isn't that unlikely that I have hashimoto's?

impossible to say without testing antibodies for TPO or thyroglobulin or TRH. Unlikely statistically speaking...yes, impossible? ....no. 

Tarwe means wheat. I feel I'm reacting to it because when I do eat it, I get bloating and feel insanely tired

Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if that was driving your brain fog and immune reactions as well. Try to experiment with gluten-free diet for a month and see what happens. 

How can I have a more balanced lipid profile? By specifically taking omega 3? Or are there also other lipids out of balance? 

By getting in more Omega 3 rich foods. You need all: ALA, EPA and DHA which are found in different foods/supplements. Fish oil is good for non-vegans or combination of flaxseed oil and algae oil for vegans. On the top of that 3tbsp of ground flax and 3tbsp of chia every single day. If you are not vegan, oily fish is great just ensure it is ethically sourced and not more than 3 times a week. 

At the same time, arachidonic acid is high in muscle meats, eggs and dairy so ideally more fsh and less of these. More of healthy fats from nuts and avocados and less crosissants, margarines, cackers etc to reduce your trans-saturated fatty acid profile. 

@JonasVE12 Hi, I've read the numbers and if I was you, I'd probably include liver/liver capsules to your diet and go for a high-quality fish oil. These alone will fix most your deficiencies.

I think your vitamin D status is fine, actually pretty close to optimal in my opinion. But if you're gonna raise your vitamin A intake, that might cause your body to need more D3 as well. Though fish oil also has vitamin D in it.

As far as magnesium, supplementing is definitely worth it but beware that most brands sell magnesium oxide, which absorbs quite poorly. I personally take Mg Citrate cause it's cheap and effective, but Mg Glycinate appears to be the best.

As far as folate, supplementing with it isn't harmful either if you go for methyl folate but you'll get enough just by eating a little bit of liver/green veggies every day.

Hope this helps :)

I shoot vids about health (https://bit.ly/395NEhj)