Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Gili Trawangan

Antibiotics

5 posts in this topic

I know this isn't a medical forum :) but maybe somebody out there can give me some advice.

I've had to take antibiotics twice in the last four months because of two STDs, first chlamydia and then gonorrhea. I'm now clean of STDs but have developed some sort of fungal overgrowth on my penis. Went to the doctor today and he prescribed four drugs, one of them being... antibiotics.

Am I right to not want to take them? I'm in Vietnam and from my previous experiences am having a tough time trusting the doctors here. Maybe part of it is prejudice, don't know...

Should I just take the other drugs he gave me? It's an antifungal, and an anti-inflammatory, and the other one I didn't understand, he said it would hasten the process... 

Alternative Rock Music and Spirituality on YouTube: The Buddha Visions

One of the drugs he prescribed was Medrol, I've just googled it and it specifically says that one shouldn't take it if one has a fungal infection :/

I have no idea what to do... 

Maybe get a second opinion from a different doctor?

“Many talk like philosophers yet live like fools.” — Proverb

It is possible the fungal infection is opportunistic after your immunity has been weakened by STD protocol.  Have you been tested for candida albicans? 

Herbal protocol can be powerful for fungal overgrowth as long as you can find a good practitioner. Dietary adjustments would be needed as well and a supplemental regime to improve your immunity should you decide to go down more holistic route. 

I agree with @Derek White, get a second opinion, that seems like a massive dose of pharmaceuticals likely to weaken your immune system further. If you are prescribed antibiotics for fungal infection, that is a mark of bad doctor because antibiotics don't do shit for fungal overgrowth (unless they don't know and are throwing everything at you), at the same time it is necessary to consider consequences of untreated pathogen overgrowth. 

What testing have they done and what is your formal diagnosis? 

Do you an have option to receive treatment in a western country? 

What other drugs have you been given? 

By the way, medrol is not an antibiotic, it is a steroid used to suppress inflammation and autoimmune disease. Do you have any ongoing autoimmune condition? Otherwise prescribing immunosuppresant for fungal infection is like shooting members of firebrigade who came save your burning house. 

Edited by Michael569

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

1 hour ago, Michael569 said:

It is possible the fungal infection is opportunistic after your immunity has been weakened by STD protocol.  Have you been tested for candida albicans?

That's exactly what I think happened.

This doctor didn't test me for anything, he just looked at my penis. In fact, I mentioned that I thought it was fungus, not sure if he would have diagnosed it that way. On the prescription the only thing written in English says fungal infection.

Nonetheless, I've had candida albicans overgrowth in the past, and I'm pretty sure that's what it is.

What other drugs have you been given?

He prescribed 4:

- Midantin (amoxicilin), that's the antibiotic;

- Medrol;

- Terbisil (Terbinafine), this is the antifungal;

- Wellman, I googled it and it's just vitamins to boost the immune system;

By the way, medrol is not an antibiotic, it is a steroid used to suppress inflammation and autoimmune disease. Do you have any ongoing autoimmune condition? Otherwise prescribing immunosuppresant for fungal infection is like shooting members of firebrigade who came save your burning house. 

I'm so glad I didn't take it, I don't have any autoimmune disease. Because I was suspicious of the antibiotics I decided to Google every drug he had given me... geez, going to the doctor around here is dangerous business.

I've taken the antifungal and the vitamins, I'm not going to take anything else. I'm also applying an antifungal cream, ketoconazole.

Do you an have option to receive treatment in a western country? 

I can't exit Vietnam at the moment. There are a few international hospitals here, but I've tried one before and it was not only similarly incompetent but also very expensive.