Coffee!

17 posts in this topic

So let's talk about this highly discussed topic! Caffeine especially in coffee.

Do you drink coffee? What is your stand on this subject? Healthy or a waste?

I used to be a huge coffee addict and I drank a lot of coffee throughout the day, every day. Lately I have started to ween myself off of coffee so my body gets cleared from all the toxins and caffeine. But now I'm drinking it again, I drink one cup of black coffee without sugar before every workout, 5 times a week. Coffee is my preworkout. Also sometimes I drink it before meditation to sharpen and awake my mind.

Every day I drink one cup of green tea also. My problem is that I don't know for sure if coffee is actually good or bad for me, there are too many studies that contradict themselves and everyone is saying something different.

I love coffee, but for my health I would abandon it completely.

Hi Vito. I as a caffein addict myself would recommend you switch to green coffee beans. sure it has not the same taste but less microtoxins because it has not been roasted.

As a father of twin toddlers with 2 jobs (Fulltime job + freelancing) i can recommend bulletproof coffee with grean beans. I was a hardcore coffee addict for years, but i wish i had tried that one before. It is really awesome. It gives me much more drive and focus + it is not as bad as "normal" coffee.

10 minutes ago, r3v0 said:

Hi Vito. I as a caffein addict myself would recommend you switch to green coffee beans. sure it has not the same taste but less microtoxins because it has not been roasted.

As a father of twin toddlers with 2 jobs (Fulltime job + freelancing) i can recommend bulletproof coffee with grean beans. I was a hardcore coffee addict for years, but i wish i had tried that one before. It is really awesome. It gives me much more drive and focus + it is not as bad as "normal" coffee.

Thank you for your wise words friend! I will check those green coffee beans right away :) Sounds amazing

Hey there man.

My take is: just make sure you are hydrated, and it shouldn't really be an issue.

I've heard that it both causes cancer and prevents it, so I'm not really sure what to believe. 

But sources I kind of trust has endorsed this viewpoint of the harmlessness from coffee, as long as you also drink a lot of water. 

So I go with that.

I usually drink about 1-2 cups a day, sometimes more. I try to avoid it later on the day though, to decrease the chance of my sleep insomnia fucking with me unnecessarily much. :D 

Endless nuance

@r3v0 I'm currently drinking Bulletproof coffee as well and really enjoy the energy/mental focus . Have you or do you get your Cholesterol tested? as some people tell me it can increase your bad cholesterol because of the butter in it 

Edited by Andrew

I have cut out caffeine completely from my diet since i don´t like being dependent on stimulants. I try to get my energy from natural sources such as good sleep, good nutrition and exercise.

There was a time i used to drink coffee every morning and if one day for some reason i didn´t, i would have the biggest headaches and the whole day would go wrong. So it´s a personal choice, nothing against coffee, I still drink it once in a while since I like the taste of it, just not every day.

1 hour ago, FreedomAwaits said:

I have cut out caffeine completely from my diet since i don´t like being dependent on stimulants. I try to get my energy from natural sources such as good sleep, good nutrition and exercise.

There was a time i used to drink coffee every morning and if one day for some reason i didn´t, i would have the biggest headaches and the whole day would go wrong. So it´s a personal choice, nothing against coffee, I still drink it once in a while since I like the taste of it, just not every day.

Yep I know exactly what you mean, they are literally withdrawal symptoms. Headaches, bad mood, feeling weak and of course craving for coffee. And just like you I also don't want to be dependend on stimulants. But what about the extra hit of energy for a workout, or before meditation to tune your mind for better results?

Also I checked out green coffee, what the internet spit out is basically that green coffee is an slightly overpriced weightloss drink. That concerns me, since I never ever would want to lose weight. My whole life I am working on gaining weight :D Green coffee is probably nothing for me.

I really want to recommend to all coffee-addicts to try Dandyblend! It is a instant coffee -type of herbal blend that tastes VERY much like coffee. I used to love coffee but I switched to this and I love it. It has many health benefits and it had zero caffeine, so it is much better for you. Try it out! It is not even that expensive.

Coffee is a very debatable topic in the health movement. I personally don't drink coffee, simply because I don't want to have end up relying on it to keep me awake. Instead, I only drink green tea, which has numerous health benefits (however it takes getting used to). 

One other thing is to become sensitive to caffeine and only allow yourself 1-2 cups a day max to allow you to keep sensitive to caffeine. A great nutritionist I recommend is Yuri Elkaim. He offers great no-bullshit information about nutrition. 

Hope this helps!

I used to drink roughly ten cups of instant coffee everyday. In fact, I still do but I introduced decaf coffee to my daily routine a few months ago.

Now, I drink two or three cups of regular coffee in the morning and before I go to gym; and I have seven or eight cups of decaf during the rest of the day. So that, I trick my mind with some sort of placebo and it worked so far. You may give it a try. 

Caffeine is associated with a reduced risk of Alzheimer's, cirrhosis, liver cancer, type 2 diabetes and seems to be beneficial for liver function.
Ironically while moderate consumption of coffee is considered to be protective against cardiovascular disease, the high coffee consumption on the other hand is one of the causes of cardiovascular diseases.

I wouldn't recommend going above 500 mg a day (which is about 4-5 cups depending on type of coffee and its caffeine content) even though 1000 mg is the upper limit for most people before starting to develop serious health problems over time, with the dose of about 10 grams  being lethal.

Generally try to keep it as little as possible as long as You are getting the benefits of it - no further increase in consumption is needed. 

If You are getting anxious, fatigued, have irregular heartbeat, insomnia, high blood pressure - You're simply consuming too much caffeine and it is a point where risks and potential health issues are rising while benefits start diminishing. Slow down.

Regular caffeine consumption leads to tolerance, which means the effects will diminish and this is one of the reasons You should consider doing a 2-3 week break from it about every 3-4 months I would say.

*Take into consideration that You can become addicted to anything, because of how it makes You feel or what emotions You associate with it.
It is up to Your psychology, not the substance. If You find yourself relying too much on the external stimulus - work on Your mindset or exclude the thing You're dependent on.

I don't like the tase of coffee, but absolutely love green tea to an extent of drinking 4-5 l of it every single day at some point of my life and ended up with blood markers indicating going towards metal poisoning, so I had to taper it down.

If You drink enough water at the first place (at least 3 l) one or two cups of coffee a day is going to be healthy* if You don't add sugar to it and make sure the last coffee is at least 5 hours before You go to sleep.

Edited by Thomas

@Thomas thank you for the amazing reply my friend. Right now I'm almost one week being coffee free, but I plan two weeks total to get myself down and then I will keep it at 1-2 cups a day I think. It sucks, the withdrawal symptoms are a real pain. I love coffee just too much.

Also wtf, 4-5 liters green tea a day? My man this is insane :D One should only drink 2-3 litres a day to stay healthy..if you do extreme workout and take creatine and you are huge then maybe 4. I drink 3 liters, mainly water and two cups of green tea now and even this feels like a lot. 

@counterdependent you did drink 10 cups of coffee per day? Jesus Christ!

@The Son You'd be surprised if You saw what kind of types & amounts of stimulants people at medical school use xD

2-7 liters of water is what most experts including US National Research Council agree with to be reccomended intake depending on body mass and activity levels to avoid dehydration. To induce a state of hyponatremia (water intoxication) one should have to drink approximately 5 liters in one sitting, which is almost impossible to happen.
However it's not uncommon to see athletes having higher (8-11 liters) water intake throughout the day cycle.
When it comes to water, I drink from 5 to 7 liters a day, I would die of thrist otherwise and feel sluggish, hungry, fatigued. 

When it comes to green tea, yup, I've taken it too far, but adressed the issue in the right time :P

I would like to add about Coffee here. I am not a regular guy of coffee but I have heard that coffee refresh minds and also helpful to refresh ourselves.

@Damji That's true, and I might add that I'm more aligned with the universe when I drink coffee :P More wonderous things happen when I drink coffee lol

I've been really interested in this topic lately. I gave up coffee during my pregnancy and during that time began consciousness work and meditation.  Caffeine allows me to get a lot more done but I felt stressed and like my mind activity really sped up after drinking coffee. When productivity was all I cared about that was great but that is not the state of mind I want now. I've even heard people say that too much caffeine gave them anger issues. If feeling at peace is our main goal should we really drink coffee? Just some thoughts, I'm still undecided about it... ;) mainly because yeah, I love coffee.

My Youtube Channel- Light on Earth “We dance round in a ring and suppose, but the Secret sits in the middle and knows.”― Robert Frost

@mandyjw If you feel to stressed out and you rather want peace of mind then don't drink it. Coffee calms me instead, and it really gives me peace of mind. Also they say that coffee drinkers live longer, they have reduced chance of cancer and dementia and so on, but you never know for sure. I always say do what feels right for you and what seems to benefit you. Investigate for yourself. This is why I drink coffee, 1-3 cups a day. Because for me personally it only does good and I feel amazing. But it's different for everyone.