JaroslavtotheT

The Greatest 'enemy'

13 posts in this topic

I'm sure that all of you have heard at some point and time a saying 'your greatest enemy is yourself'. I'd like to start a discussion on this topic.

For example, how to beat this enemy and whether or not you should even fight it... or maybe how to make peace with yourself & love 'you' for who you are with all your expectations, shame, broken promises and flaws.... I don't know. Any ideas on this topic are welcome, it's supposed to be a discussion after all.

Edited by Dhana Choko
Title grammar edited by Dhana Choko

Hey JaroslavtotheT.

That is quite the interesting topic you got there.In my opinion from what I've seen,it's not that your "entire you" is the enemy.Just like Leo said,there are 2 parts of you.The little kid who doesn't want to listen to anything and your "higher self". The brat is completely neglecting the higher self wanting to do whatever it pleases while the higher self is disappointed.And I have found that it is very true,in most life situations.Also "The past has value only if you give it value". So the further back in the past you go the "more bad" the version of yourself becomes.So if you keep coming back to it,it may stop you from improving,"I'm no good I did this thing here,and this here,and oh my god this...". Just screwing yourself over.Not sure if I was on point but,these are some of my insights that I found being to the point and very accurate.

Kind regards.

The enemy doesn't exist. The enemy is your ego - your vision of yourself and a sort of "description" of who you think you are. This greatest enemy becomes harmless when you let that shit go. Ultimately you're a badass infinite being who doesn't need to cope with any enemies because there is nobody and nothing to fight with.

Take care!

4 minutes ago, Eye said:

Ultimately you're a badass infinite being who doesn't need to cope with any enemies because there is nobody and nothing to fight with.

Loving this! :D

fucking awesome responses...

I have the very problem T11 adressed only I call it guilt and it's actually guilt from both long gone past and the past of today (I struggle with the second one many times more than the first). But these stuggles don't even have to be stuggles cuz the only thing that makes them hard is your own lies & ego which can be errased by simply breathing in and realizing your... well... infinity.

Funny how we make something easy really hard for ourselfes

'let that shit go' & 'Ultimately you're a badass infinite being who doesn't need to cope with any enemies because there is nobody and nothing to fight with.' - Eye 2016

Don't play but instead just observe your mind working. If you are mad or angry, laugh at yourself and be aware of it, eventually the enemy/ego will give up like a child crying for attention.

PS. I love how the forum save everything you've written in case you accidentally reload the page or something stupid like that :)

If it's guilt you struggle with you probably need to contemplate on how you are not responsible for a single one of your actions but have always been deceived in to sin etc but you still need to be 100% honest and truly innerstand this to move on.

Also realize what you are - nothingness and don't let your ego get in the way because really you are just feeling that you're so important and mighty and therefor you should have taken more responsibilty etc as hard as that might be to grasp if your not ready but that is the blue mind control of all the good spiritual people including the awesome social anxiety folks.

Not to make you take the opposite pillar of course where you just shit on everyone and everything because you take no responsibility but eventually you'll understand that paradox ;)

PS. the event and feelings are the lessons and the mind is the student, just something that came to my mind right now :)

Hell yeah that's quite awesome :D but it still doesn't help when you when you accidentally delete a whole fricking paragraph ( like me).

And how about this... by loving yourself you in the end love everything ( or nothing) because of you being the all there is ( or once again nothingness).

Watcha think? 

Edited by JaroslavtotheT
me likes it like this

Perfect and totally true :D There's another quote I can't quite remember but it's something like "there will only be one (God maybe) when you are everywhere/everything.
And if you delete something like that again try hitting ctrl+z to regret before typing anything else ;) 

It depends on the context of the question you are asking? If your asking whether or not one should improve oneself, self acceptance vs self improvement, then you have the notion of self acceptance wrong. You can learn to acknowledge and accept yourself, and at the same time strive to improve yourself. Self acceptance doesn't mean self resignation or self condemnation. It means to accepting what you are right now. Self improvement shouldn't be about being at war with yourself. In fact self improvement coming from the right frame is "I love myself enough to want to improve myself because I care".

I struggled with this paradox last year. It's so silly how I got caught up in it.

I'm assuming the saying which implies some sort of condemnation to your "lower" self is meant to emphasize the more unaware, undeveloped, lower conscious parts of the psyche that hinder growth. Like procastination, limiting beliefs, neurosis, etc.. Anything negative really. But it's not meant to imply that one should be in an adversarial relationship with one self. Yes there are things you can not like about yourself. (and many things about myself I don't like) but don't resign yourself to becoming more conscious and a better person.

Kind of dragging on, but you get my point. Hopefully I understood where you were coming from. This is more about the false notion of a dichotomy about "self acceptance vs self improvement" many people come across.

This community is quite inspiring actually... thinking of so many topics to write about I had to wrote them down.

I just imagined the facial expressions of people if I were to say something like  "I could be my own god" outloud. Hilarious.

This makes me wanna start writing lyrics again. #writingseption

What helped me with that paradox was actually simplyfying it even more. Rather than thinking about whether I should accept myself like I am, or do it through more negative emotion... or just trying to find my way by thinking in general I simply said to myself: "There's no better reason than the fact that I like what I'm doing in order to do it... " This hepled me alot, since I got out of my personal struggle. Now I have some other issues... I'm getting my shit together tho.

Sorry if I got off topic, but I love the simplicity of just feeling something's right being enough.

If you have ever read or watched Siddhartha's story you may probably know what are your enemies and what is your greatest enemy.