Ethan1

What are your thoughts about social conditioning?

3 posts in this topic

I'm trying to understand more about the complexity of social conditioning. There truly aren't many people on YouTube discussing this topic. Once I came across the concept of social conditioning it made me really go deep down the rabbit hole. 

Most of our world views are shaped based on social conditioning. The family dynamics, demographics, socioeconomic/social status, values, and other variables influence perception. 

Seems to me like social conditioning is just the default set of beliefs we are given. Which influences nearly every aspect of life from our core beliefs. A default program installed in the mind. 

Crazy how people can go through life being unaware of their social conditioning and cognitive biases.

If people were socially programmed to understand more nuance truths compared to simplistic truths then society would probably be a little less corrupt.

last night i was having a conversation with my mom about the necessity of having kids. At one point of the conversation, she said that it is important to have male kid because they would be helpful in family work. She also added that having a boy mean you can utilize him at the time of emergency. Like if someone become sick at midnight, he would be able to go to pharmacy or do other emergency stuff that a girl can not. I told my mom that you are justifying our social problems and just promoting status quo by prefering to have male kids.

See how social conditioning is at play here? The main thing is my soceity is far from being safe for women to go out at midnight to do stuff.  Without acknowledging the problem and doing something about it, my mom internalized the belief that,  "there are certain things a girl can not do so it is important to habe boys" - which is exactly a social conditioning. She may not be aware of the dynamics but this is exactly what she is doing - making a belief and trying to pass it on to future generation. Of course, this is a false belief.

Often times with social conditioning,  you have to read between the lines rather than what other person is saying. I think most of the people are unaware of the process of social conditioning, that is why awareness campaign is so so important to address this issue. 

Edited by Annoynymous