LfcCharlie4

Incredible Council Estate in Vienna (Stage Green/ Yellow)

2 posts in this topic

Just thought I’d share this amazing council estate I came across on FB that clearly employs long term thinking, and is hugely benefiting thousands of people.

its created an amazing community also by the seems of it, the UK defo need something like this, our council estates are looked down upon and mostly areas where crime and poverty is highest, nothing like what you see in the video, another European country showing how it’s done.

'One is always in the absolute state, knowingly or unknowingly for that is all there is.' Francis Lucille. 

'Peace and Happiness are inherent in Consciousness.' Rupert Spira 

“Your own Self-Realization is the greatest service you can render the world.” Ramana Maharshi

Public housing in Singapore is also pretty awesome, especially the newer developments. When I lived there, I almost managed to nab a unit with a sea view, but somebody was faster than me unfortunately. Still, I ended up paying 900 SGD for a two-bedroom unit, about a 5-minute walk from the nearest MRT station and 15 minutes from downtown. At the time, that was worth around 300 pounds a month, nowadays, it would be the equivalent of around 500. Still, even that will barely get you a room in some crummy part of London. This was an older unit and did not have any fancy facilities, but it was safe and clean, with a food court right downstairs and many amenities within walking distance.

The thing about public housing in the UK and the US (as well as France), is that they are designed to be vertical slums. It is the government's way of taking poor people from valuable land and rehousing them on top of each other, so that they are out of sight and take up less land space overall. As the above examples show, public housing can be done right, if the intent is there to invest the necessary thought and funding, not just the bare minimum in a haphazard way. BTW, anyone who has been to a public housing estate in any other country, would be absolutely shocked at how safe and clean Singaporean housing estates are. Over 90 percent of the population lives in them, so they have to be.