Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Rasheed

Parboiled Rice?

16 posts in this topic

Is parboiled rice good choice for not getting an energy crush, which happens when we eat white rice? 

Is parboiled rice healthy?

Digital Minimalism: A philosophy of technology use in which you focus your online time on a small number of carefully selected and optimized activities that strongly support things you value, and then happily miss out on everything else.” - Cal Newport

1 hour ago, Rasheed said:

Is parboiled rice good choice for not getting an energy crush, which happens when we eat white rice? 

Is parboiled rice healthy?

The stuff from the shops? Like uncle Ben's?

Ok in an emergency I guess. Thing about white rice is that it's been stripped of its bran so that it can stay on the shelf for years (brown rice has a shelf life). 

Parboiled is just pandering to the needs of our hectic listyle at the moment. Go go go and not enough time to prep 3 meals a day at home. Plus it's easy for the lazy cook to put in the microwave. 

But if you're genuinely interested in your health like I am then brown rice is the way to go. You can soak and cook large batches and put it in the fridge for 3 days. Just don't cool it in cold water, let it cool naturally on large trays spread out (cools quicker) and then put it in an airtight container and into the fridge. Don't put it into plastic when it's warm (the plastic can leak into your food if it's warmed) and don't put it in the fridge when it's warm (bacteria love this and the heat raises the internal temp of your fridge).

I have black and red rice in my cupboard at home which I eat on a regular basis as well as brown rice. But I make sure not to eat too much rice because it can store a lot of arsenic in the bran. 

Whole grains have a few benefits. Because of the bran it's high in fibre which regulates how much sugar your body absorbs. It's slow releasing therefore doesn't cause a carb spike (drowsiness after eating lots of sugar). It has vitamins and minerals in the bran, and it has thus chemical in in called phytic acid that can help prevent against too many metals being absorbed in your body. 

I do eat white rice once in a while though because I like the clean taste. 

2 minutes ago, Nickyy said:

Ok in an emergency I guess. Thing about white rice is that it's been stripped of its bran so that it can stay on the shelf for years (brown rice has a shelf life). 

Parboiled is just pandering to the needs of our hectic listyle at the moment. Go go go and not enough time to prep 3 meals a day at home. Plus it's easy for the lazy cook to put in the microwave. 

But if you're genuinely interested in your health like I am then brown rice is the way to go. You can soak and cook large batches and put it in the fridge for 3 days. Just don't cool it in cold water, let it cool naturally on large trays spread out (cools quicker) and then put it in an airtight container and into the fridge. Don't put it into plastic when it's warm (the plastic can leak into your food if it's warmed) and don't put it in the fridge when it's warm (bacteria love this and the heat raises the internal temp of your fridge).

I have black and red rice in my cupboard at home which I eat on a regular basis as well as brown rice. But I make sure not to eat too much rice because it can store a lot of arsenic in the bran. 

Whole grains have a few benefits. Because of the bran it's high in fibre which regulates how much sugar your body absorbs. It's slow releasing therefore doesn't cause a carb spike (drowsiness after eating lots of sugar). It has vitamins and minerals in the bran, and it has thus chemical in in called phytic acid that can help prevent against too many metals being absorbed in your body. 

I do eat white rice once in a while though because I like the clean taste. 

I heard one guy on YouTube, said that parboiled rice has same benefits as brown rice but has a taste of white rice, he advised to eat it...that is untrue?

Digital Minimalism: A philosophy of technology use in which you focus your online time on a small number of carefully selected and optimized activities that strongly support things you value, and then happily miss out on everything else.” - Cal Newport

3 minutes ago, Rasheed said:

I heard one guy on YouTube, said that parboiled rice has same benefits as brown rice but has a taste of white rice, he advised to eat it...that is untrue?

Got a link? I'll have a listen to his perspective 

watch on 4:30

I like his shake. But I'd avoid that much chocolate in the shake. 

He's using oil very liberally, I don't even use oil anymore. Maybe a little avocado oil, a TSP a day is enough. 

Raspberry jam? Why? It's just sugar and a few antioxidants. More sugar than anything else which cancels out any benefit of the raspberries. - just throw in a half punnet of real raspberries if you can afford it. But I would not go crazy on berries and chocolate, these should be eaten in moderation as they are very nutrient dense and have some chemicals like oxalic acid that can cause problems if the gut bacteria are unbalanced. 

His ideas around parboiled rice being the same as brown rice with the taste of white rice may have something to do with the brand he's buying because I've not come across this idea before. Sounds like hes mixing up his interpretation with an objective fact.

Either rice is hulled or unhulled. Unhulled is brown, hulled is white. 

To be honest he's not very clued up on nutrition. With his mixing of sat fat and processed sugars he's well on his way to developing type 2 diabetes if it runs in his family. 

I didn't see him include a cup of green veggies in his diet? I think everyone should have at least one cup of green veggies per day, like mange tout, spinach, broccoli, sprouts, cabbage, kale, green beans, anything green. 

28 minutes ago, Nickyy said:

I like his shake. But I'd avoid that much chocolate in the shake. 

He's using oil very liberally, I don't even use oil anymore. Maybe a little avocado oil, a TSP a day is enough. 

Raspberry jam? Why? It's just sugar and a few antioxidants. More sugar than anything else which cancels out any benefit of the raspberries. - just throw in a half punnet of real raspberries if you can afford it. But I would not go crazy on berries and chocolate, these should be eaten in moderation as they are very nutrient dense and have some chemicals like oxalic acid that can cause problems if the gut bacteria are unbalanced. 

His ideas around parboiled rice being the same as brown rice with the taste of white rice may have something to do with the brand he's buying because I've not come across this idea before. Sounds like hes mixing up his interpretation with an objective fact.

Either rice is hulled or unhulled. Unhulled is brown, hulled is white. 

To be honest he's not very clued up on nutrition. With his mixing of sat fat and processed sugars he's well on his way to developing type 2 diabetes if it runs in his family. 

I didn't see him include a cup of green veggies in his diet? I think everyone should have at least one cup of green veggies per day, like mange tout, spinach, broccoli, sprouts, cabbage, kale, green beans, anything green. 

Thanks. Very comprehensive. You know nutrition very well and I appreciate and respect that! 

2 minutes ago, Rasheed said:

Thanks. Very comprehensive. You know nutrition very well and I appreciate and respect that! 

To be absolutely clear, white rice is just processed sugar. It's the bran that makes it a healthy carb which won't hurt the health. 

Par boiled rice is absolutely healthy although I eat white rice O.o

INFJ-T,ptsd,BPD, autism, anger issues

Cleared out ignore list today. 

19 minutes ago, Preety_India said:

Par boiled rice is absolutely healthy although I eat white rice O.o

So parboiled has same benefits as brown?

1 minute ago, Rasheed said:

So parboiled has same benefits as brown?

Yep. 

24 minutes ago, Preety_India said:

Yep. 

Thank you.

2 hours ago, Nickyy said:

I apologize I misled you because I thought parboiled rice was devoid of the bran. 

I just looked this up:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parboiled_rice

6 minutes ago, Nickyy said:

I apologize I misled you because I thought parboiled rice was devoid of the bran. 

I just looked this up:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parboiled_rice

It's like this. Many people confuse parboiled rice which I get in my local market with brown rice and sometimes with jasmine rice. 

Parboiled_rice is a rice which is just processing and washed, dried, heated many times to almost become transparent. The reason for this is to remove the starch from it and therefore it's not as delicious as whole grain rice which is basically brown rice.

parboiled rice is a better source of fiber, calcium, potassium and vitamin B-6 than regular white rice

White rice is stripped off of its outer bran and middle germ and therefore its less nutritious but addictive because of its starch content. 

Now brown rice is extremely nutritious because it is just lightly hulled and the hull is removed but the bran and germ are kept intact. The bran is very important because both the germ and the bran is a source of B vitamins, potassium, phosphorus, magnesium but it still contains some starch. 

So the basic difference is that parboiled rice still retains some of the nutrients despite the heavy processing making it look almost transparent translucent but devoid of starch. This is good for diabetes because in Asia most people are prone to Diabetes because of the starch content of rice 

So in my grandmother's village they started producing parboiled rice many centuries ago to avoid the risk of diabetes. 

At least this is the story my mom passed to me. 

Hope it helped. 

1 minute ago, Preety_India said:

Hope it helped. 

Yes, system upgraded 

Thank you!