Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Damir Elezi

New To Self-actualization - How

7 posts in this topic

Hey guys,

I am 18 years old and just got into this topic of self-actualization. I watched some videos on Leo's and other channels and skimmed through some basic books from the library about the topic. I am still at the beginning of my life and have to find out what carreer I want to choose. I want to gain some power to make a change and contribute to society. I am also very interested in meditation and spirituality as long as it is based on facts and not some new-age hocus pocus. My question is: Can some of you guys tell me (and other potential beginners) where and how to start? For example some good books for starters, some basic routines, efficient meditation techniques for beginners a.s.o.? 

Mastery by George Leonard is a very founding book to start with. I very much recommend it! I personally began with some simple meditation, watching Leo's videos (one or two per week), being as observant and thoughtful as possible.

PS: Leo's videos on Graves Model/ Maslow's hierarchy of needs blew my mind. I watched them earlier on in my short pursuit, but I really loved them, they changed my view on things.

Edited by Koda

Two easy and powerful things I use to this day.

1)Every hour remind yourself that you are going to die, so be grateful that you arealive now.  I found that it cut alot of bs from my life.  As time is limited.

2)Remind youself that no one really knows what the hell is going on!  Dont be afraid to say "I dont know"  This just opens the mind into a more inquisitive thinking pattern.

4 hours ago, ayokolomo said:

Two easy and powerful things I use to this day.

1)Every hour remind yourself that you are going to die, so be grateful that you arealive now.  I found that it cut alot of bs from my life.  As time is limited.

2)Remind youself that no one really knows what the hell is going on!  Dont be afraid to say "I dont know"  This just opens the mind into a more inquisitive thinking pattern.

Thank you for the very helpful response, but I have some questions.
1. How exactly do you remind yourself of your death every hour? Do you use an alarm clock? And what thought processes do you go through in order to get this thought really clear in your mind?
2. To be honest, when I think about my own death I get demotivated, rather than motivated, because I realize that me and everything I create will turn into nothingness, so what is the point in actually pursuing anything?

Howdy Damir!

Suggestions to Self-Actualization

1. The Pursuit of Knowledge

2. Develop New Habits

3. Life Purpose 

4. Financial Independence 

In summary, read self-help books, attend workshops. Develop new productive habits. Journey to discover your life purpose. Get to the level of financial independence. :) 

17 hours ago, Damir Elezi said:

1. How exactly do you remind yourself of your death every hour? Do you use an alarm clock? And what thought processes do you go through in order to get this thought really clear in your mind?
2. To be honest, when I think about my own death I get demotivated, rather than motivated, because I realize that me and everything I create will turn into nothingness, so what is the point in actually pursuing anything?

To be honest I am only begining my journey, so any advice I give is from my personal and limited experience.

In my phone I simply set my alarm clock every hour.  When the alarm goes off I will simply say "Praise the Lord I,am still alive."  Then run my hands over my face   If I am by myself or with family members then it is out loud, if I am outside then I say it to myself. 

Of course you can change the,words and actions, the point is to remind yourself how amazing it is that you are alive right now.

As for your second point.  Of course you get demotivated that is the point. Only do what it is that truly fulfils YOU.  What is it that you do that makes you happy.  Everything else is bs.  That is the point of this exercise.

20 hours ago, Damir Elezi said:

You'll have vision when your mind has processed your past and become clear again. That's why consistency is key, develop habits as easily as you break them. Keep what works till it no longer works. But remember it later when it is needed again. Exercise and eat well. Two most fundamental and necessary habits to clear the mind.