assx95

Question(s) on epistemology of enlightenment

2 posts in this topic

Who realizes that there is no self? 

If no one realizes that "there is no self", then how can enlightenment be reached? 

It logically follows, that it is not possible for anyone to know whether they are enlightened, since for enlightenment to dawn, the self has to disappear leaving no one who could possibly know. 

And since language is dualistic, any enlightened person saying they are enlightened, couldn't be enlightened since their self is still operating through language. 

What comes to mind is the Buddha, who would stay silent when a such a question is asked, or throw in some zen koan. 

But I cannot grasp the idea of how the self will cease to exists, if everything else in the world stays the same. 

6 minutes ago, assx95 said:

Who realizes that there is no self? 

If no one realizes that "there is no self", then how can enlightenment be reached? 

It logically follows, that it is not possible for anyone to know whether they are enlightened, since for enlightenment to dawn, the self has to disappear leaving no one who could possibly know. 

And since language is dualistic, any enlightened person saying they are enlightened, couldn't be enlightened since their self is still operating through language. 

What comes to mind is the Buddha, who would stay silent when a such a question is asked, or throw in some zen koan. 

But I cannot grasp the idea of how the self will cease to exists, if everything else in the world stays the same. 

@assx95 Buddhism says there is absolutely no "self". Many other traditions say that there is a True Self/Atman/Higher Self that emerges when the egoic self is transcended with various explanation as to what that is. Personally, I lean towards the Atman side, which seems obvious in my direct experience.

Edited by Matt8800