Progress

Reincarnation?

26 posts in this topic

I don't know what to think about reincarnation and all this stuff, but i see way to many people here taking it way to seriously. If so many of enlightened people think something is true, does that mean they are right?. What they think as true may depend on their conditioning from society they came from. And we must not forget that the world was not that long ago mostly in mythical stages of development. And only recently teachings from the east came into our society. So no wonder that even so many very intelligent western people believe such things, because source from where they get information is to a large extent mythical. And we humans are known to be very gullible. By hearing something repeatedly, after awhile almost anything could start to appear as true, so we start to believe it, and it starts to make a lot of sense. If you have some crazy first hand experiences, that convince you almost 100% that something is true,  does that mean that you are not deceived? You can never be completely sure about anything. Mind makes anything into anything, sure experience is true, but after all it is just an experience.
 It would make sense that life itself goes on somehow after death, but that you, your thoughts, your wisdom , your memories reincarnate? that just does not  make sense. But if only  being somehow reincarnates, than there is new body, new mind, you are put in new  environment and it shapes you in a different person. Well is that  then even you? In a sense yes, but as a person you are somebody completely else. Awareness is the same, but everything else is different. Well that would mean that this is your only life, nothing is left of you after death, only life itself goes on.

2 hours ago, chaos said:

I don't know what to think about reincarnation and all this stuff, but i see way to many people here taking it way to seriously. If so many of enlightened people think something is true, does that mean they are right?. What they think as true may depend on their conditioning from society they came from. And we must not forget that the world was not that long ago mostly in mythical stages of development. And only recently teachings from the east came into our society. So no wonder that even so many very intelligent western people believe such things, because source from where they get information is to a large extent mythical. And we humans are known to be very gullible. By hearing something repeatedly, after awhile almost anything could start to appear as true, so we start to believe it, and it starts to make a lot of sense. If you have some crazy first hand experiences, that convince you almost 100% that something is true,  does that mean that you are not deceived? You can never be completely sure about anything. Mind makes anything into anything, sure experience is true, but after all it is just an experience.
 It would make sense that life itself goes on somehow after death, but that you, your thoughts, your wisdom , your memories reincarnate? that just does not  make sense. But if only  being somehow reincarnates, than there is new body, new mind, you are put in new  environment and it shapes you in a different person. Well is that  then even you? In a sense yes, but as a person you are somebody completely else. Awareness is the same, but everything else is different. Well that would mean that this is your only life, nothing is left of you after death, only life itself goes on.

Reincarnation and rebirth are different propositions.

Reincarnation, as in Hinduism is akin to water in a glass. The glass being a body, water being the "ego" or "soul", which moves to another glasse after death.

Rebith, as in Buddhism is akin to a candle lighting another candle, passing on its flame.  The candle being the body, and the fire being the cause and effect of the person (Karma). The Buddha did not teach the survival of the egoic self.  

In my opinion, dabbling in some forms of channeling and @Sarah_Flagg  please correct me if I'm wrong, mediumship is channeling the stream of the grater self (essentially the energy/consciousness/essence) which uses the mediums own experience to re-construct a memory of the "dead" ego. It's not actually the ego of the dead, but a reconstruction. This is why sometimes the memory is interpreted incorrectly.

Edited by SkyPanther

@Sarah_Flagg You are doing the devils work.  Christ said that Satan will come disguised as an angel of light!