Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Falk

Ending Friendships - The Developental Scissor

3 posts in this topic

Lately i feel that some of my friendships start to end since i grow and actualize & change my life more and more into the direction i feel is great for me.

I call it the "developmental scissor" that opens when 2 friends go realy different ways.

So, has anyone experienced this on his or her journey with people who were close, maybe just 1 year ago and now it seems like you live in two different worlds?!

-------------------------------

I just noticed the other day when i talked to some of my oldest friends, whom i know for almost 20years now that i can´t fucking stand his whole attitude anymore, his bitter approach towards successful people, his constant whining/ insulting of others, even conspiracy-theories of how the world works as excuses to make up for the lack of personal responsibility, all if those things i can suddenly see crystal clear and identify them, where before i just kinda felt: "well bro i get you, i don´t share your opinion, but i guess you might have a point" ...

now i´m like "NO!! MOFO!! you don´t have a fucking point! WTF! stop whining and do smth!! you are a great guy but you´re fucking wasting your life! we know 20years but i can´t stand the person you became anymore" 

i´m afraid to tell him this because i think: "DID I BECOME A BAD PERSON"?? "is it wrong for me to think like that"? "am i an asshole?" "uncompassionate?"

Should i tell him all this? Does one even OWE to be cruel, instead of just ignoring someone from now on ..which would be WAY easyier!!

Is it better to tell a person the truth or to think "i can´t help anyways , why get my hands dirty and just ignore that person"

OR is there a better 3rd option?

I have friends like that, not close ones anymore though. I have a little chat with them every now or then and then another one after a month or a few weeks. I don't cut them compleatly unless they would be like permanently negative. but I just made some space for myself, kind of what Leo mentioned in the minimalism video. Because if I hang out with negative people I become it affects me. 

You will eventually outgrow people and the fear of letting go can be painful I guess...

Hallå