bluesky

I Am Cult Survivor

9 posts in this topic

Hello,

I am ex-Hare Krishna cult member. It was a bad experience for me :(. I Have lost my friends, my health was going down, i become depressed and unhappy. I was a Hare Krishna about 2 years then i left. Thanks for my parents, they have separated me from this cult. Is there any cult survivors in this forum? I am from Lithuania, Eastern Europe, where Hare Krishna's are little bit expanding, but I have heard that in US this cult is dead?

Hey,

I recently encountered Hare Krishna's in Auckland at an event with one of the main leaders; Swami. I thought that some of the members came across as cult like but not too bad. I was thinking of exploring it some more by staying at a monastery but maybe not now. The knowledge itself looks interesting but seems like you commit to it and ignore everything else.

What was your experience like to describe it as a cult? 

In my experience, I believe Hare Krishna movement is a cult, because they believe that:

1) If you are meat eater, then you go to hell or next life you get animal body.

2) You must obey spiritual master (believe everything that he says, follow his orders strickly, donate him financialy).

3) Avoid casual people, because they may be bad and can mislead you from "truth"

4) Hare Krishna mantra is the only way to know god

5) Cow is sacred animal and milk is good for your brain. (total nonsense)

6) Sex is only for reproduction and in marriage.

7) Hare Krishna teachings is authoritative and directly from god

I can tell you more about it, but they very manipulating information to get you in this cult. I was deeply in it, because I was searching for spiritual path. Some do some more research about this movement. Yes, Hare Krishna mantra is very powerful, it can take you in some higher states of consciousness, but it has side effects too, which hare krishna's don't tell you. You become very fanatic and dogmatic, so watch out !

Yeah... their recruiting techniques seem very manipulative, which should be your first clue.

But yeah, don't listen to anyone who asks you to have faith in their words. Words are cheap.

True spiritual teachers never ask you to believe anything. They push you to do self-discovery.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

Sorry for late reply,

Sounds very close minded, I think i will stay away from it.

Are the Krishna texts themselves any good?

Has the cult left any negative effects on you?

If you are interested, you can read Bhagavat Gita "As it is" by Prabhupada. It is like Indian bible, but it has many interpretations. For example, Hare Krishna people believe that God is personal and beyond nothingness, which is was very appealing for me. But other issues of Bhagavat Gita see God as impersonal.

Now I am fine, but I was very confused. I think most negative side affect was psychological suffering and social isolation also waste of time. But I try to be positive and learn from from my mistakes. Moreover, Hare Krishna movement is not that bad in other aspects. They don't use stimulants, live clean life and they could be bright and smart people, who want to help others, but the philosophy is very bad and close minded. If you have time and interest, you can study this material: http://www.ultimateselfrealization.com/ . You will get the idea.

I was in a Christian Church and in some ways they do the same thing. The problem is when someone wants or try to push their beliefs on you. In my opinion they have a wrong interpretation of the scriptures due to their distortion of reality. That's what happens with most of the religions. They try to impose their reality on you, but for them their reality is the only truth.

Good to know you are beginning to walk with your own feet.
:)

Don’t you realize that all of you together are the temple of God and that the Spirit of God lives in you?
1 Corinthians 3:16

Cheers for the information.

I guess theres something about the human mind which latches onto beliefs like that. I myself latched onto conspiracies which messed me up psychologically for a short while. Although i havent discounted the theories i have decided to learn to manage my emotions and thoughts more and to learn to reason before i go back and look at them with a different respect.