Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ivory

Flipping chronic low self-esteem into life purpose

3 posts in this topic

So, basically I had low self-esteem my whole life but I've always had a big heart. My self-esteem is much better now. But that's only happened through years of therapy and self-development.

I'm a natural empath and I legitimately care about others' well being. I tear up when I see acts of kindness, which has been more and more the case recently. I'm pretty sensitive that way.

Oddly, I never knew that I liked kids until my sister gave birth to my niece. I loved her the instant I met her.

Recently I started having the idea that in the future, when I have more life experience, I'd like to donate my time and mentor kids. Sort of like life-coaching for children. But I didn't think that this was something I could do until later in life after I have lived a full life. I thought, "How can I help kids when I still need so much work myself?"

But then...

Last night I had a dream. I had a dream that I was helping kids, bringing joy to their lives, and I woke up almost in tears. It made me feel so good that I could have a positive impact on children's lives. So I started thinking, maybe I should go back to school and either become a teacher, counselor, or a child therapist. An early childhood educator is the one that sounds the most appealing to me at this point. But I have some research to do.

I think the next step is for me to see if I can volunteer and offer my time in being a mentor in some way, shape, or form; Just to see if I enjoy working with children. I recall that there was a big brother / big sister program back in the day, I don't know if things like that still exist.

In any case, I'm going to look into professions that allow me to work with children.

I'd love to hear feedback from you guys.

Cheers

This was an exciting read. I am glad you seem to be finding real clarity about what you want to do with your life.

My suggestion would be not to think too much in terms of existing career paths, but think more outside the box. Life purpose is very much about crafting your own niche in life, not to just follow existing paths.

I really resonated with when you said "life coach for children". I'd love to bring my kids to someone who is an expert on child psychology and self-esteem in children. Where a child therapists deals with getting over suffering, you could take the more positive approach and teach them self-actualization, maybe chip in some spirituality, be a mentor and friend of sorts. Endless possibilities and virtually no limit on how deep you can go with this.

Do the LPC if you haven't already.

Cheers

Summer camp counselor came to mind just to gain experience as you do your schooling. Just a thought.