Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Taurus

"restriction" Mindset Weight Gain

7 posts in this topic

Hey guys,

I'm not sure where to post this, I hope here is alright. I like to eat healthy ( really clean high carb paleoish diet ) not so much for weight but more so how I feel/digestion/skin. I've read about orthorexia too much (online) and while I know I don't have that issue, I convince that my diet is too restrictive and eventually I crack and eat things I normally would shudder at and then I fall into a hole of eating like that for weeks. I tried to start this way of eating for a while and failed but when I began watching Leo's videos they helped me to do it for weeks at a time. Because of my black and white thinking Ive been gaining weight when I mess up. One week I wont prepare a salad on the same counter as my mom was slicing bread, the next week im eating peanut butter & jelly sandwiches.. From the outside I look at my behaviour and its ridiculous. I sometimes think I'm better off just eating whatever I want in moderation (so I don't create insane cravings through "denying" certain foods) but I know deep down that i don't fully thrive living that way and I feel so much better eating 99% healthy. This is all in my control, I know, but I just feel stuck and was wondering if anyone has any suggestions?

@Taurus It`s easier to take a vow every time, for lets say one week, to eat healthy. After that  just eat what you like for two days. Repeat that a few times and it will become easier to stay on the healthy food. Be gentle in this, not fanatic and rigid. Become aware of the differences in your spiritual exercises with the different foods.

Have you ever considered "flexible dieting"? The premise is basically that 85-90% of your daily calories are to come from healthy whole food sources, and the remainder can come from not so healthy sources. It's a way to help you stay on track with your fitness goals without becoming too obsessive/neurotic about food. So lets say you're eating 2k cals a day, 1800 would come from healthy whole foods and 200 could come from whatever treat you choose. I usually save this treat for late at night because that's when I crave sweet stuff the most.

15 hours ago, ChimpBrain said:

Have you ever considered "flexible dieting"? The premise is basically that 85-90% of your daily calories are to come from healthy whole food sources, and the remainder can come from not so healthy sources. It's a way to help you stay on track with your fitness goals without becoming too obsessive/neurotic about food. So lets say you're eating 2k cals a day, 1800 would come from healthy whole foods and 200 could come from whatever treat you choose. I usually save this treat for late at night because that's when I crave sweet stuff the most.

If there is one thing that is neurotic regarding eating behavior it is counting/worrying about calories

RIP Roe V Wade 1973-2022 :)

36 minutes ago, vizual said:

If there is one thing that is neurotic regarding eating behavior it is counting/worrying about calories

I've been doing it for years and I seem to be fine. If you want to manipulate your body successfully, whether that's fat loss, muscle gain, or both, there's really no way around tracking what you eat. 

12 minutes ago, ChimpBrain said:

I've been doing it for years and I seem to be fine. If you want to manipulate your body successfully, whether that's fat loss, muscle gain, or both, there's really no way around tracking what you eat. 

I'm not saying counting calories does not work but it's hard to say it's not neurotic. You say that you have to count calories to 'manipulate' your body. What's wrong with eating a clean diet rich in whole grains, fruits, vegetables, legumes and lean meats? Of course, in addition to working out regularly in an activity you enjoy. If you do this it's hard not to get the results you desire.

A reason to count calories is if you are addicted to sugary and fatty foods, that way you can force yourself to lay off the 'bad' foods. But it rarely fixes the underlying problem of food addiction, it might even make it worse because you are resisting certain foods. Very comparable to a substance addiction.

An other reason to count calories is if you are dieting down for a competition where a (sickly) low bodyfat percentage is required. Yes, your body is going to resist you going that low in bodyfat so you have to restrict calories. But for a long term solution? Counting calories is highly neurotic and won't add to your happiness.

RIP Roe V Wade 1973-2022 :)

4 hours ago, vizual said:

I'm not saying counting calories does not work but it's hard to say it's not neurotic. You say that you have to count calories to 'manipulate' your body. What's wrong with eating a clean diet rich in whole grains, fruits, vegetables, legumes and lean meats? Of course, in addition to working out regularly in an activity you enjoy. If you do this it's hard not to get the results you desire.

A reason to count calories is if you are addicted to sugary and fatty foods, that way you can force yourself to lay off the 'bad' foods. But it rarely fixes the underlying problem of food addiction, it might even make it worse because you are resisting certain foods. Very comparable to a substance addiction.

An other reason to count calories is if you are dieting down for a competition where a (sickly) low bodyfat percentage is required. Yes, your body is going to resist you going that low in bodyfat so you have to restrict calories. But for a long term solution? Counting calories is highly neurotic and won't add to your happiness.

I guess that's where the difference in our opinions lies. You seem to be talking about how someone who's overweight or 'out of shape' can become average, I'm talking about what's necessary for someone who's average to achieve their dream body. My idea of what's normal or neurotic is also probably a lot different than yours because I've been embedded in the "fitness scene" for the last decade. I agree that if your goals are just general health and to not be overweight there's no need to count calories/macros, just exercise and eat healthy foods.

With all of that said my suggestion that flexible dieting is a possible solution to keep the OP from binging or flip flopping from strict dieting to complete freedom still stands.