Ampresus

The fear of eating haram food

4 posts in this topic

Hello everyone.
I have been trying to leave behind my old islamic ways for the last few months, but this is something I really struggle with. I am not comfortable eating food knowing that it is haram meat.

However this barrier that islam enforces also makes you unable to eat at a lot of places. For example I want to travel to Antarctica, but of course on the cruise they don't serve halal food.

So: sticking to halal or not? And should I try pork chop?

@Ampresus In my opinion, most, if not all of the haram foods are considered unhealthy. So there is no need to eat it. I used to be a muslim. Now, as an atheist, I still don't eat the haram food because it's unhealthy.

Just get rid of the ideological beliefs you have of islam and you'll be ok. A good way to do that is through contemplation.

"A great challenge of life: Knowing enough to think you're doing it right, but not enough to know you're doing it wrong."

- Neil Degrasse Tyson

@Ampresus Haram is just pork and alcohol. Anything but those is halal. So don't make it a big deal ?. Eat what you like.

@Ampresus

I wouldn't call it 'fear'. I think it's better described as resistance or tension.

However, if it is fear, then it has to do mostly with your old Islamic beliefs about Hell. Those of which need to be examined and questioned further.

If it's resistance or tension, then it will automatically heal with time, simply by bringing more awareness.