Moreira

The PERCEPTION of TIME: slow it down or speed it up( how to)

3 posts in this topic

As Im facing the last week of summer vacations I want to take the maximum juice of it.

I though to create a strategy to make time pass slower and enjoy it more.

Starting from  the basis:

-If time flies at work its a really good thing.

-If time flies on vacation time is a bad thing.

Also there is a important aspect in the equation, what I call the "sense of acomplishment" is when you do a lot of things in one day it seems that you have taken the max of your day and you didnt just wasted it.

Things that make time FASTER:

1-Spending all day in internet(Youtube , forums and videogames) this is the worst time thief, time speeds up 10 times faster and the sense of wasting it is big.

2-Doing the same routine day after day. That include eating the same everyday, staying in the same place, having a schedule... Every day looks the same so it make 10 days look like 1 day.

Things that make time pass SLOWER:

1-WAITING. In the airport, in the row for a museum, a delayed flight, everything boring and tedious make it slooooow time, although is nota  pleasant experience.

2-Spend a full day meditating. As we all now, living in the present moment make time looks eternal. Avoid timers and alarms.

Things that increase the sense of acomplishment, fulfillment or taking profit:

1-Visiting lot of places one day. 1 day traveling feels like a week at home.

2-Multitasking. Although it would make time go faster the sense of fulfillment is really big: Cleaning the house, fixing furniture, taking care of the garden, hiking or a walk, painting, playing a instrument, going to the gym.

3-Watching movies, reading books. It sounds counterintuitive wasting time on TV but when you watch some films it feels that you lives lot of diferent experiences in your vacations, even if its from your sofa.

*Personal case: I went 4 days to Turkey to have a hair transplant, these 4 days and the amount of places I visited, people I met, made feel these 4 days loos like a week. in the other side when I arrived home the doctor said within 15 days: No sun, no swimming pool/beach, zero sport/gym. So I wasted 2 weeks at home in internet and these passed like 2 days, sad.

Conclusions:

In order to take max profit of our leisure time we find a balance between the perception of time proifitable use of this time.

I could grab a chair and seat in the street all day, it would be boring like hell, time would pass slow, but its a day wasted.

Wanna know other opinons and activities that give fulfillment in vacation time

Nice write-up. The present moment is eternal simply for the fact that you're not worrying about putting time in perspective or context. Notice that your observations of time moving slowly or quickly are relative and highly contingent on your ability to remove yourself from the present moment. "Time moving" is a concept that does not exist in actuality. 

So what does this mean? It means your belief in time is the trap. Time only moves quickly when you are focused on escaping the present moment. Bring all your examples to mind, it really is that simple. Only when you aren't OK with the present moment will time make you her bitch, by making you feel like you missed out. 

"The greatest illusion of all is the illusion of separation." - Guru Pathik

Sent from my iEgo