Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
abundance

Finding Meaning in the Anthropocene

3 posts in this topic

I am not sure if this is the appropriate sub-forum for this topic. 

Lately I've been doing some extensive research on climate change. There are multiple camps of perspectives on how severe the ramifications of climate change will be. Based on everything I've read I am beginning to have a more pessimestic outlook on our future and find myself gravitating more and more in the "doomer" sphere. The way I see it, as long as we maintain the status quo (placing profit before our environment) it is almost certain that we'll face the collapse global industrial civilization in the short term and perhaps the eventual extinction of the species in the long term. 

But the meaning of this thread is less about the ramifications this has on us as a collective and more about how it effects us on the individual level.

It seems every day there is seems to be some new article about how we are so screwed. 

"July was the hottest month of record"

"The artic is losing sea ice faster than previously thought"

"Millions of species face extintion"

I could really go on and on

How do we (as individuals) find meaning in the face of surmounting evidence that our entire way of life (industrial civilization) is what may cause demise of the species? Do we reorient our life purpose around the impending ecological collapse? 

Edited by abundance
Had an additional point to make

With awareness how could you not do anything.

cognitive dissonance will haunt you at all times if not. 

I get the feeling all people are crazy to caarry on business as usual

‘The water in which the mystic swims is the water in which a madman drowns. --Joseph Campbell

It's a tough situation. Humanity is faced with a choice between their own personal shirt term gain and what's best for humanity as a whole. With the current system we have on earth (most people being below stage green) it seems impossible to stop climate change through any kind of individual choices in the short window of time that we have. All we can do is place demand on the market with our money for more sustainable products and hope that our stage orange societies get enough economic incentive to produce technology that can somehow slow down climate change.

"Only that which can change can continue."

-James P. Carse