moon777light

Updated Mastering The Core Teachings of the Buddha: free pdf

8 posts in this topic

yoo i take a 10 day break from here and come back to see two new subforums what uppp

anyway this is an AMAZING non-dogma, no bullshit approach to buddhism, by Daniel Ingram, who kindly offered his updated book for free online. I dont this this is talked enough on here, enjoy :) 

https://www.mctb.org/

@moon777light  I am interested in this book, however I really don't like reading on screen. Would you recommend getting the updated version over the old one considering it comes at twice the price?

@loub i hate it too, especially the way he formatted it, the pale beige background and slim gray font makes my eyes strain so hard. I havent read the original and this one im not done with, but from what ive seen  the updated one is twice its size (800pages vs 400 pages) and i think its more valuable to get the newer one, since he got more insights and seen mistakes that his earlier book didnt address

I have the original and have found it to be most valuable. I plan on picking up the second addition too. I think I read that he expands on Buddhist Magick in the new one. If you are interested in Vipassana and Buddhist Theravada, I think you can't go wrong with either edition. I don't know what the first edition is priced at but I bought it for around 35 a few years ago. His forum is really good too- dharma overground and his blog has some interesting posts. I think he is doing a month long teacher residency at Caldusa's retreat center in September. 

Edited by wens16

19 hours ago, wens16 said:

I think he is doing a month long teacher residency at Caldusa's retreat center in September. 

really? i read that they had beef with each other, he held a retreat at culadasa center last year and it didnt go too swell

Ah, you're right...I just checked where I read about the retreat and I had the wrong year. I must have seen it in an old post. Wow, I didnt know they were beefing! 

yep, basically they have huge different opinions on the Dark Night of the soul. And daniel took it all a bit too seriously xD 

On 8/17/2019 at 11:13 AM, wens16 said:

I think I read that he expands on Buddhist Magick in the new one. 

yup.

It's a long ass book I recommend getting the paperback. I was lucky enough to get the 2nd edition on accident, and it's great.