montecristo

Where is the past and the future? No, seriously

25 posts in this topic

5 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

To say there is no causation is the same as to say there is infinite causation, because zero and infinity are identical.

This is so ironic that you mention this, because I had a therapist when I was 16 tell me to stop thinking in absolutes. He would draw the number 0 on one side of a paper, and 100 on the other. He explained that progress is more like 1-99.

I didn’t get on this spiritual path, so to speak, til I was 18. I guess I had a sense all along that there was something greater. Looking at the example my therapist gave me, it’s evident that the mind tries to wrap everything in absolutes if it’s in an unconscious, impure state. It’s unfortunate that conventional therapy only deals with what’s happening in the mind, because that can obviously only go so far. It doesn’t tap into or see the potential for spiritual growth. 

@AlldayLoop All cognition is dualistic. That's just the nature of the beast. Any concept you that think must divide reality into two.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

37 minutes ago, AlldayLoop said:

This is so ironic that you mention this, because I had a therapist when I was 16 tell me to stop thinking in absolutes. He would draw the number 0 on one side of a paper, and 100 on the other. He explained that progress is more like 1-99.

I didn’t get on this spiritual path, so to speak, til I was 18. I guess I had a sense all along that there was something greater. Looking at the example my therapist gave me, it’s evident that the mind tries to wrap everything in absolutes if it’s in an unconscious, impure state. It’s unfortunate that conventional therapy only deals with what’s happening in the mind, because that can obviously only go so far. It doesn’t tap into or see the potential for spiritual growth. 

this is great I totally agree. It seems that conventional therapy is just beating around the bush. Playing with emotions and trying to augment behaviors meanwhile totally overlooking spirituality.

If they helped people to become conscious of even some small aspects of the absolute like this example here it would go a heck of a long way.

‘The water in which the mystic swims is the water in which a madman drowns. --Joseph Campbell

5 minutes ago, montecristo said:

Playing with emotions and trying to augment behaviors meanwhile totally overlooking spirituality.

LOL

If it didn't do that it would spirituality, not therapy!

"A flute with no holes is not a flute." -- Basho ;)

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

touche!

But I think there would be merit in trojan horsing concepts about spirituality and the absolute into these highly secular therapeutic environments. Using the underlying logic of it to start opening people up

‘The water in which the mystic swims is the water in which a madman drowns. --Joseph Campbell