Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
John West

Losing freedom when changing habits

4 posts in this topic

Hey guys

Always when I try to change habits or improve something consciously, I rob myself of my freedom, because in order to succeed at the habit change I need to cocnstantly consciously think about it so I dont forget. Because when I forget, I obviously fall back into the old bad habit. Example would be: I try to notice every thought throughout the day. When one does this, it's almost impossible to just let go into flow or into "the zone" as they call it (that focused absorption into an activity), because I have to keep my mind on obeserving thought. I hope you get the point. Same when I try to improve something consciously like motoric exercises (for example playing a sport etc.).

it's not about robing freedom, it's about energy consumption.

if you go through the motions, it means that you consume much lesser energy and when you want to make a change in the system, you consume more energy to make that change happen. so changing something inside is out of habit and autopilot behavior so expect the feeling of being inconvenient while your doing something new because it's energy consumer until it takes fixed form as a new habit!

"If you kick me when I'm down, you better pray I don't get up"

The more you repeat something, the stronger habit it becomes and you’ll start doing it subconsciously. So even though, it seems hard work to start with, keep repeating and you will eventually start doing it without even thinking about it and you’ll get your freedom back.

I have an opinion on everything :D