Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
GroovyGuru

Need advice on how to balance spirituality and enjoying my youth

3 posts in this topic

So I just turned 21 and obviously as I'm sure everyone knows, turning 21 is an absolute game changer. It completely opens the door to a whole new world of fun and adventure. This is especially true for me, because I commute to my university and still live at home, so I never really had the real college experience like all my friends. So now that my friends and I are all 21 and everyone is home for the summer, we have been going out and been having a great time almost every night.

It's difficult for me to find the right balance between doing silly shit that I know is not important but my ego still very much desires, and pursuing spirituality. When school is in session and all my friends go back to university, that is when I am absolutely my most productive and focused. I'm constantly meditating, reading, learning etc... As much as I love spirituality and can so clearly see the significance of what can be accessed, lately the thought of meditating for an hour before bed on a Thursday doesn't always seem as nice as going out with my friends. 

Is this something I just have to completely exercise? Being out at bars, getting drinks, chatting up girls, having a laugh with my friends etc is all new territory for me because again, it's not something I experience at college. Should I let myself experience and enjoy these things and put spirituality to the side for a bit, or should I just forget about any of it and pursue spirituality even harder? Ideally, I'd like to do both, which is what I'm doing. But it seems going out and having fun is just a bit more appealing than trying to destroy my ego at the moment.

Thanks for any advice

@GroovyGuru Do what you feel that will lead you to happiness. Just don't insist on something that's not working.

There are some silly errors that you should avoid, like smoking crack, using heroine, having children at an utterly immature state of development etc. But for the most part, making mistakes and having a direct experience of frustration is the best approach to learn and build up wisdom.

Go out, take your drinks, chat with girls... do whatever. But always ask yourself "Is this making me really happy?". Don't just indulge in activities unconsciously. Nobody can tell you the limits your middle path. That's your job, and yours only.

Also, keep in mind that self-responsibility grows as you age. Now you're turning 21. Good... a new level of responsibility lies ahead of you.

unborn Truth

You can't kill your ego until you die physically! but what happens that by doin' more consciousness works, it'll be decreased in size and you'll be able to take control of that! but sense of self is already there, so rest assured!

and doing all of these and actualizing your true self, doesn't mean you can't go on with your life chatting up girls and other appealing things you could do in your life.

Remember : YOUR LIFE IS A PLAYGROUND FOR YOUR CREATION, AND DOING ALL OF THESE PRACTICES ARE JUST FOR BEING AWARE OF THE POWER OF YOUR CREATION! PERIOD.

Edited by hamedsf

"If you kick me when I'm down, you better pray I don't get up"