Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
pmargb

Use “I” or “You” in inner dialogue?

4 posts in this topic

When speaking to yourself, do you use first or second person? Is one better than the other?

I’ve found that I currently lean strongly towards the second person. I think I trained myself to do this a while back in an early effort to separate my egoic self from the higher Self. It was constructive for a time, but now I’ve encountered a new challenge. This impersonal approach has created somewhat of a distance/ dissociation in myself, and I think I neglected to build an entirely loving connection there. 

In proceeding towards practices of self-love, I’m unsure whether to remain in a second person dialogue, or whether to reestablish the first person in order to nurture the sense of oneness?

I would love to hear input and advice!

Ego part of you so treat it like it’s as such when working toward integration. It’s you but not in totality.

Forget about the semantics 

2 hours ago, pmargb said:

When speaking to yourself, do you use first or second person? Is one better than the other?

I’ve found that I currently lean strongly towards the second person. I think I trained myself to do this a while back in an early effort to separate my egoic self from the higher Self. It was constructive for a time, but now I’ve encountered a new challenge. This impersonal approach has created somewhat of a distance/ dissociation in myself, and I think I neglected to build an entirely loving connection there. 

In proceeding towards practices of self-love, I’m unsure whether to remain in a second person dialogue, or whether to reestablish the first person in order to nurture the sense of oneness?

I would love to hear input and advice!

A once visited a psychologist who reminded everytime I used ”you”. Try to own what you say and feel. Use ”I” as much as possible. 

Dont look at me! Look inside!