Beeman

Can direct experience be trusted?

83 posts in this topic

On 5/23/2019 at 9:39 PM, Leo Gura said:

Careful! Perception is not actually happening via the brain or the eyeballs. Perception as it is commonly understood is not really happening at all. It's a conceptual scheme you're imagining. BEING is what's really happening, not perception. Perception is BEING co-opted by ego/devil.

Without the ego, perception does not occur. But this doesn't mean that colors and sensations vanish, they simply get recontextualized as something other than "my perceptions".

The very notion of "perception" is already infected with ego because it assumes that perceptions are things which happens to you through your nervous system. This is not actually true. Perceptions are not caused by the nervous system. You merely imagine they are. In fact, you imagine your entire nervous system. "My nervous system" is a sneaky metaphysical construct which you use to ground your sense of reality.

It would be helpful to stop believing in perceptions or a nervous system.

You must completely unground your sense of solid reality. Your mind must become so free that you cannot even tell what a human body or a coffee table is, because those are all conceptual things. You must even forget that you are on a planet Earth or inside a physical universe, since those are all conceptual projections which are grounding the ego.

You must reach a point where your entire sensory field is free of all conceptual interpretations or groundings. At this point, you will not know what anything is. You will look at your hand and not even recognize it as a hand. You will not know what "hands" are. Because "a hand" is actually a conceptual construction. You actually have no idea what that thing called "a hand" is. Even to call it a "thing" is already incorrect.

This is extremely tricky and subtle stuff. I cannot stress that enough.

This is interesting and partly one of the reasons I'm on the forum. 

Bringing things back down to my own level (that's all I can do right now until my understanding widens).... It seems to me like Leo believes he has worked out a way to circumvent the brain so his reality will be different to the others that have not managed to circumvent their brain. So to me, this sounds more like something out of a science fiction film than anything. 

However, I know Leo is not the only one working on this path. There are others here that are also experiencing the Matrix, like the film perhaps. 

For me, whatever improves your life and hopefully those around you, and hopefully the world in general, all power to it if it. 

This post might sound like I am taking the piss. I'm not. I'm just opening myself up for feedback which might even become ridicule of my perceived ignorance. It's good for me to put this stuff in writing as it will help chart my progress and accountability for my beliefs and understanding. 

I do actually strive toward being as openminded as possible, even if this post reads the opposite of that.

16 minutes ago, Bill W said:

It seems to me like Leo believes he has worked out a way to circumvent the brain so his reality will be different to the others that have not managed to circumvent their brain. So to me, this sounds more like something out of a science fiction film than anything.

Not a belief at all. You're just not conscious yet that "the brain" is a mental construction within consciousness.

See, your own biological birth is a mental construction. It only happened because you say it did. If you stop saying it, it will stop being real. The only way you could be born is by imagining it. And thus you were born!

It's beyond science fiction. It's Absolute Truth ;)

There is no universe. You're inside a hallucination. Don't believe it. Take a close look. The truth cannot stay hidden from those who seriously look for it.

YES! The Truth is very radical stuff. You have no idea how radical. Nothing I say could convey just how radical it is. Whatever you imagine is not radical enough to be True. Since human imagination is merely finite.

Enlightenment! -- it's the damnedest thing ;)

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

After sawing what is actuality distinguish direct experience vs concept video I understand what Leo calls direct experience is, not what we are referring here, it is a word choas. He made a great point there. Direct experience is the king.