Ponder

Addiction

8 posts in this topic

The one (and maybe only) good thing about addiction, is that the longer you go without your drug of choice, the better it feels once you get it. 

one of the best books about addiction I have read is alan carr's book about quitting smoking.

It's a great psychology book. It busts myths that an addict constructs around his use. you can apply it to other addictions.

to expand on what I just said, in relation to your opening post.

addiction is a deficit. The good feeling you get when you have a hit is, on some level, a return to homeostasis, the level that the non-addict already resides at.

Yeah fair, but maybe if you’re using multiple substances periodically, it can offset the homeostasis that would occur if you were just smoking cigarettes for example

if you mean the multiple substances are needed to function then it's the same thing. a non addict doesn't need them to function. I know we are talking the tip of the iceberg in terms of addiction, but it's important to recognise that the addict who has a hit of something is not gaining anything that the non-addict doesn't already have.

But maybe there’s a combination of substances (tailored to each individual) that results in a never-ending elevation of consciousness. Also, you do realize it is possible to be an enlightened addict. I am one myself. 

Yep, druggy here. Doing spirituality work. :)) 

What contradiction of forces.

My own journey with drugs and alcohol and then letting them go is that I was trying to fill an emptiness in my life through taking a short cut and not doing the work to achieve a better life without needing drugs and alcohol. Being drug and booze free is actually much easier than being an addict for me which is the opposite to what I always thought. I am only speaking for myself. If others want to use drugs as they believe it helps them then let them get on with it. Seems that many swear by it. You do anything regular enough it all just gets normalised.