Draconis Chaser

Am I expecting too much from the Life Purpose Course?

9 posts in this topic

Hi, everyone!

I am in a bit of a tricky situation and would like y'alls oppinion. 
So, I am currently enrolled in a PhD program, and am working in the field.
I absolutely loved that work while I was finishing up my masters thesis, however, lately I became dreading the work. I don't find it appealing anymore and I find myself procrastinating or debating wether or not I should do a sloppy job and be done with it, or suffer through imense amount of emotional and mental labor. I still hold myself to a certain standard, so I don't go full slob, but the truth is that I don't find it enjoyable anymore. Quite the oposite. 

Furthermore, I don't see any meaningful contribution in what I do on daily bases. Oftentimes I think of myself as of a McDonalds worker, just the type that does lab work instead of flipping burgers. I feel incredibly stuck in this situation. I can't drop the program, but I don't want to keep at it anymore. And even if I did drop it, I would have nothing else to turn to.  

Since this is the first time I'm actually earning money, im saving up for the Life Purpose Course, and to be honest, I feel like Im grasping at straws a bit. 

I lay all my hopes in that course of helping me find a direction in life, for the first time in, well, ever, and help me find out what it's like waking up excited and energized, and start loving what I do again. Do you think I am overleaning on it, or could it really give me what I need? 

If you have any comment, idea or advice to spare, I would be more than grateful to hear them.

Thanks in advance!
Lots of love,
Draconis

Yeah it will. But u have to do a LOT OF WORK. 

I will be waiting here, For your silence to break, For your soul to shake,              For your love to wake! Rumi

@Draconis Chaser ^ what he said.

Taking the course is definitely not a get rich quick opportunity. It could take you 1-5 years or even 10+ years to get something off the ground that is related to your life purpose, so expect to stay at your job for some time while working on your business.

The course is all about becoming an entrepreneur, earning your own money, starting a business or becoming self-employed, which is obviously a completely different path than a 9-5 job. I don't know if you've ever tried working on your own projects as an entrepreneur but it requires a certain mindset. The ability to persist even at the face of lots of failure, requires self-discipline, consistency, etc. And that's what the course is all about, it prepares you with the mindsets with videos and practices, then it moves onto finding your purpose.

"Intellectual growth should commence at birth and cease only at death." - Albert Einstein

@7thLetter @Harikrishnan

Thank you so much! 

I am not afraid to work hard for something I belive in. And 5 years is a small price to pay for a lifetime of direction. 

I realise things are not going to fall in my lap from the sky, and I'm prepared for the grunt work. 
I just need to know that there is something behind it, a faith, if you will, that it will produce results if I stick with it. So I'm glad it can actually do that. :)

I might be pushing it now, but do you have any advice on how I should approach my job in such a way that I do quality non-sloppy work, even though it is absolutely draining and demanding, and still have enough energy after work to invest in the Life Purpose Course? 

Any idea is more then welcome! 
Thanks again and lots of love, 
Draconis

1 hour ago, Draconis Chaser said:

@7thLetter @Harikrishnan

Thank you so much! 

I am not afraid to work hard for something I belive in. And 5 years is a small price to pay for a lifetime of direction. 

I realise things are not going to fall in my lap from the sky, and I'm prepared for the grunt work. 
I just need to know that there is something behind it, a faith, if you will, that it will produce results if I stick with it. So I'm glad it can actually do that. :)

Man this course is for u.

I will be waiting here, For your silence to break, For your soul to shake,              For your love to wake! Rumi

@Draconis Chaser I'd say its all in your head. If you affirm to yourself that the work is draining and boring, then that's what you'll continue to feel about the job. But if you practice appreciation for the job, then you will appreciate it much more. You're really in a better position than most people, a lot of people would love to have the job that you have. And try to find the passion that you initially had when you went to school and started your career.

"Intellectual growth should commence at birth and cease only at death." - Albert Einstein

@Draconis Chaser I don't know the details of the situation you're in, exactly how boring the work is, or what opportunities lie ahead, but I'll tell you this: almost any work will feel like flipping burgers at some point. You may be in a spot where you have to pay your dues at the bottom for a bit before you can move on+up to more interesting and rewarding work, make sure you don't throw the baby out with the bathwater by outright rejecting your present situation.

Try to look at the big picture, where you see yourself in a decade and how best to get there.

If you're in a PhD program and making a bit of money while you're doing it, ie not going further into debt to further your education, that's generally a pretty sweet place to be. In 10 years will you regret completing your PhD?

How to get to infinity? Divide by zero.

@outlandish

I have thought about leaving my PhD program long and hard, but in the end, I don't believe I will be doing that.
The thing is - PhD programs in my country last almost 8 years, that's about double the standard 4-5 years in Europe. By the time I'm finished, i will be well into my 30's. The thesis that I do and the research I was assigned to are ultimately pointless, and are purely theoretical. On top of that, I am employed full time, and I do a LOT more then just my thesis, and the opportunity to advance is almost non-existent.  So there is ridiculous amount of stress and responsibility going on, with little rewards (if any). Given all that, its pretty easy to feel discouraged and feel like I'm wasting the best years of my life on something that doesn't feel even remotely fulfilling. 
Still, I would feel like an utter loser if I just dropped it like a hot potato, so I probably won't do that.  

That being said, the job realistically has SOME advantages. It is a fairly prestigious place to work at, my mentor is involved, so I'm not on my own all the time, and the money is decent. And I do get a dr in front of my name, which is also a sweet thing. 

The problem with me is that it does not feel like I do my best in that branch. I know I can do better when there is some emotional juice going on, and also where there is an application to the theory. Maybe it's naive of me to say this and I'm being a spoiled brat, but I refuse to suffer mindlessly through a decade of my life. That's why I wanted to try and change things a little bit at a time. Maybe start my own business, maybe go in a different field, stuff like that. I decided to invest in the Life Purpose Course to help me navigate it all, and maybe release a bit of the guess-work involved. 

@7thLetter @Harikrishnan

I will definitely take everyone's advice and try at least as long and hard to dig out the little nuggets of gold there are in my situation.  Especially in the down time of saving up for the course. 

Thank you all so much! 
All the best!